Campus Celebrity: Emma McCarthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

This weekend is the long-awaited Notre Dame vs. Navy football game, but that’s not all that makes this weekend so special. After the game from 11:00 pm to 1:30 am in Angela Athletic Facility, Saint Mary’s will be hosting the Navy Social! The Navy Social is a time honored tradition; it brings Saint Mary’s girls and students from the United States Naval Academy together to celebrate their shared history. Tickets will be on sale Wednesday, October 7th at starting at 8:00 pm in the Student Center Atrium. It will be a night to remember! Meet the hardworking Belle who planned this exciting event: Emma McCarthy!

What is your position on SGA?

I’m the Mission Committee Co-Chair.

Can you share a little bit about Saint Mary’s College and the United States Naval Academy?

The relationship between Saint Mary’s College and the Navy dates all the way back to the Civil War. During that time, there was a call for nurses to care for wounded soldiers on both sides of the battle field, from both the north and south, and our Sisters of the Holy Cross answered this call, thus becoming the first nurses to the Navy. To honor this beautiful story, Saint Mary’s and the Naval Academy have traditionally held a dance every year the Navy comes to town to play Notre Dame in football.

Why is the Navy Social an important tradition here at Saint Mary’s?

Navy Social is an important tradition here at Saint Mary’s because it is a celebration of our connection with the Navy thanks to the Sisters. Students on both campuses look forward to the event every time it is held. It is a great way to make connections with our brothers and sisters at the Naval Academy, establish long-lasting friendships, and continue the legacy between our two schools!

What can Saint Mary’s girls expect to look forward to at the Navy Social?

Girls can expect to look forward to a fun night of dressing up, dancing, snacks and a fun social event! There is going to be a killer DJ, lots of people, and it’s going to be an all-around good time. Mixing and mingling with our friends from the Naval Academy is always exciting and, honestly, when else do you get to socialize with students from the Naval Academy? They look forward to the event just as much as we do and are super excited to be joining us again this year.

What are you most excited about?

I’m most excited about making memories with my friends and seeing everyone having a good time! The memories I hold from attending Navy Social my freshman year are some of my favorite memories of my Saint Mary’s experience. I look forward to making new memories, meeting new people, and enjoying dancing the night away with my belles and the students from the Naval Academy! 

Photos provided by author

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries!