Campus Celebrity Alumna: London Lamar ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

London Lamar ’13An SMC grad with a lot of wisdom to share, which we all can learn from! 

1.    Can you tell us a little bit about you: where you are from, what year you graduated, your major, your current job?

London Lamar, native Memphian and currently living in Memphis. SMC Class of 2013 BA in Political Science with double minors in Sociology and Intercultural Studies. Currently I am the Memphis Organizer at Stand for Children.

2.    You are a person who is following your passion, what advice would you give to young women at Saint Mary’s who do not know what they are passionate about?

My advice would be to intentionally try new hobbies and join clubs related to your interest. Developing on what you like from exploring different clubs and interest groups, you then build your platform through that. Overall the key is to be open minded and let your passion create a path to success for you. Build on that and you’ll easily find your way. Also! Don’t be afraid to fail along the way.

3.    How do you push past your fears?

I try to keep my eyes on the prize and let that motivate me when in doubt.

4.    How do you deal with haters?

I’ve come to realize humans are gossipers by nature. People are always going to have something to say; rather good or bad. The higher you climb, the more people want to bring you down. That’s just the way it is. Therefore, you have to be authentic to your brand and use it confidently. Expect people to talk and hate. It’s a part of the process. Be great because more people support you, haters are just louder.

5.    What are your life goals? 

My lifelong goal is to become a Senator. I also want to develop non-profits created to boost civic engagement.

6.    What advice do you have for college aged women?

Develop you skills and talent. Use this time to break out your shell and try new things

7.    What is your favorite quote?

The Serenity Prayer

8.    If you could have dinner with one person in the world, living or dead, who would it be?

Martin Luther King Jr.

Sinead Hickey

Saint Mary's

Incoming Junior at SMC, writing and hoping people like it!
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's