The Broke College Girl’s Guide to Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Self-care is important for everyone, and there are seemingly endless ways to do it. However, it’s often hard to find popular self-care tips that fit into a collegiette budget. From bath bombs, to face masks, to retail therapy shopping trips, it seems like taking time to care for yourself is an expensive job. Over the years, I’ve come up with some awesome (read: free) ways to treat yo’ self when your bank account is less than ideal.

One: If it feels wrong, don’t do it

This seems kind of self-explanatory, but when it comes to self-care, you have to decide what is right for you. One article might say a $150 24k gold face mask is the only way to boost your mood, and your great aunt Shirley probably swears by a fancy imported tea as a cure for a bad day, but if you hate face masks and would rather drink coffee over tea any day, don’t cave to self-care peer pressure! Do whatever makes you comfortable and happy.

Two: Don’t be afraid to say no

I don’t know about you, but I often find myself unable to say no to things. I add on meeting after meeting and responsibility after responsibility and put the needs of other people above my own. Now, this isn’t a bad thing, but it’s important to realize that you don’t have to say ‘yes’ to everything if it means saying ‘no’ to taking care of yourself. Have the courage to take time for yourself, or you’ll find yourself burning out quickly.

Three: Let go of what you can’t control

In life, there are hundreds of things that happen every day that are completely out of our control, but these situations still have the power to affect our mentality. Take the power back from them by learning to let go of the things you can’t control, in order to focus on the things you can.

Four: Be kind to yourself

When you’re having a hard day, it’s pretty easy to view everything in a negative light, including yourself. It’s always important to treat yourself with kindness, but making a point of saying and thinking nice things about yourself on a bad day can make a huge difference in your attitude. Try putting post-its with affirmations up where you can see them, or write a list of the things you love about yourself and carry it with you. No matter what, you deserve to be treated well by everyone, and that includes yourself!

Five: If all else fails, pet a cat. (or a dog)

Spending some time with this little guy always seems to boost my mood. Pets are truly human’s best friend, and sometimes telling all your problems to someone who will simply listen and snuggle with you can make all the difference.

Meredith Mackowicz

Saint Mary's '19

"as unpredictable as a dad on a field trip" resident assistant, brooklyn 99 fanatic, amateur ukulele-ist, & cat mom taking collegiette life one day at a time. Campus Correspondent at Saint Mary's College
Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.