Boost Your Self-Esteem in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Do you ever just wake up feeling like one of the stale cookies in the DH? Tired, grumpy, sad, anxious, angry, or pretty much any negative emotion, ever? We all have those mornings where it feels like we woke up in an automatically bad mood.

When we wake up on the wrong side of the bed, we’re more likely to start the morning off on a bad note. And in college, where all-nighters are the norm and classes start way too early, those mornings seem to be every morning. If you wake up feeling crappy and go look in the mirror, chances are, your eyes will go right to the things you hate about yourself, and it’ll be the only thing you can notice. Nevermind your hair is looking flawless or your eyeliner is on point, if you’re tired or grumpy, all you’ll see is that one little blackhead hiding on your nose.

Instead of focusing on the negative in the morning and setting yourself up for a bad day, here are some ways to boost your attitude and self-esteem in the AM!

Have a Balanced Breakfast

When you eat good, you feel good. Breakfast really does give you the energy to power through the day, and a healthy start will help you stay energized and feel ready to conquer whatever professors, friends, or the South Bend wind throws at you. A good way to make sure yur breakfast is well-rounded is making sure it has a variety of colors and nutrients-and no, that does not mean Fruit Loops. (But those are awesome, too). If you start the day off eating something healthy, you’ll have healthy thoughts later.

Give Yourself a Compliment

If you find your eyes zooming straight to that blackhead, stop and take a step back from the mirror. What else is there? Remind your mind of something you love about yourself- whether it’s your bright smile, your fun freckles, or your awesome nail polish. Focusing on the positive will help keep you positive!

Pull Yourself Together

I know, I know, the whole reason we came to a women’s college was so we wouldn’t have to get all dressed up for class! But putting a little effort and self-care into yourself will make you feel put-together and boost your self-worth. I’m not saying you need to curl your hair and do a full face of makeup, but a little bit of lotion and lip gloss can go a long way.

Move Around

I’m not saying you have to go to Angela at 6 am. Simple stretching, sun salutations, or a short walk can help get your blood flowing and send happy endorphins to your brain.

Do Something Productive

Even if it’s just printing out that essay that technically isn’t due till 4, or finally washing that old coffee mug, getting something done in the morning is a great way to boost your self-worth!

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's