The Art of Dating Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Upon entering college, it was something I heard over and over again- the concept of not wanting a significant other because well, “it’s college” or “you want freedom.” I can’t help but disagree with this concept. Yes, I agree that being single is a good way to keep options open, BUT I also agree that relationships (whether it be with a significant other, friend, or family member) can shape who one is. Relationships are awesome and people are great. However, instead of relying upon someone else for happiness, I think the ability to consistently make yourself happy is something nobody can take away.

Last semester, I started practicing a little thing called “Treat Yourself Tuesday.” This is my excuse, once a week, to sip on a venti in starbucks while taking endless buzzfeed quizzes, take a 2 (okay 3) hour nap, Or hey, even splurge on a pedicure.

So once a week, call me an introvert, I take the time to go on a date with myself. Treat Yourself Tuesday became my time to take a step back from the crazy week and cut myself from slack. As female college students, we rarely do this. We get caught up balancing and perfecting our school, appearance, work and our social lives. And if you think that this balancing act is easy, claps for you on being a super human.

The opportunity to live in a different country for the semester has given me something I never expected. (Besides a having a treat yourself january, February, and March…)

I have learned that being put in a completely new environment was the true test of myself- not only comfort but confidence as well. (And other things like map reading skills, how to book a cheap flight, survive in a hostel and other grown up stuff but that’s besides the point.) For the first time in my life, I can confidently say I know the person I want to be because I forced myself to take the time to figure it out. I’m still working on it, but this stuff takes time right?!

So take the first step of dating yourself and ask yourself the sometimes scary questions not many want to face. Starting simple, of course.

Do the people you surround yourself with make you better?

Have you found something that continually inspires you?

What are you working towards right now?

And most importantly, are you happy?

Instead of being intimidated by those scary little things we call emotions, take the intimidation and let it be motivation. Have faith in your beliefs, acceptance of your flaws, and most importantly trust in yourself.

So next Tuesday, eat the cupcake, buy the shoes, drink the wine or binge watch a season of FRIENDS. Do what will make YOU happy and keep in mind one of my favorite quotes,

“The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”  – Carrie Bradshaw

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Photos provided by Sarah McKevitt 

Sarah McKevitt

Saint Mary's

So happy to be a part of HCSMC! Lover of all things with a french cross, aspiring speech pathologist, class of '17. Go belles
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!