Alumna Spotlight: Erin Condon Ph.Diva

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

This week’s Alumna Spotlight is all about Erin Condon, Ph.D.  Dr. Condon, Saint Mary’s Class of 2007, will be coming back to campus October 6th to talk about “Analyzing Big Data” in Carroll Auditorium. Before you go listen to what I’m sure will be an amazing talk (I promise I’m not being biased) get to know this beauty behind the brains!

Name: Erin Condon

Graduation Year: 2007

Favorite South Bend Hangout: Laf 12

Dining Hall Go To: Weekend Brunch, Mountain Dew on tap, and the Fro-yo.

Major/Minor: Majored in Mathematics and Economics, Minored in Spanish

Occupation: Statistical Consultant at a Marketing Research Firm

What’s a day in the life of Erin Condon? Wake up on the north side of Chicago and take the brown line into the Loop. Eat, research, meet, repeat. Head back to the north side and try to squeeze in a yoga or barre class, then love ending my day in the kitchen trying out new recipes followed by some ‘couch time’. These days I am also doing some wedding planning.

What is your talk “Analyzing Big Data” at SMC about? With the rapid growth of computers and technology, the world is faced with what seems to be unlimited amounts of information.  This talk will focus on my modeling and data mining experience in a data driven industry mixed with my personal journey from SMC, to grad school and thesis work, followed by real world applications.

Who is it geared to? ‘Numbers People’ may be drawn more to the talk, but I hope it offers something to all young women at SMC who are currently studying and interested in learning where an education at SMC can take you.

Advice for Saint Mary’s Math/Econ students? Stick with it.  Many times you will sit there and wonder what this elaborate problem or proof has to do with anything in the ‘real world’. I firmly believe the problem solving skills that I have developed throughout my education can be applied to a wide range of ‘real world’ problems and have greatly increased my value in the work force.

Favorite Sister? That currently goes to SMC? Claire.

Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's