Advice from a First-Gen College Student to a First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

1. Everyone feels a little alone in the first semester, even if you are making friends.

It’s okay to feel like you don’t belong or homesick, but if it starts to affect your lifestyle or your grades, reach out to someone for help. Speaking of…

2. It’s okay to ask for help.

Go to the academic centers, talk to professors, attend study sessions. People want to help you a see you succeed!

3. Attend events and try new things.

College is a time to explore who you are. Attend an event, join a club, or volunteer. Maybe you’ll find a new passion!

4. Your dorm room does not need to have everything from a catalog in it.

Your room may be your home, but it’s not as big as a house, don’t over buy and just bring the things you will actually use!

5. Talk to your professors.

Your professors aren’t just there to teach you, they can offer you interesting advice too! Get to know your professors and they might be able to help you navigate college and adulthood.

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding. 
Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.