The 9 Shoes Every Girl Needs In Her Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

You might be walking past the shoe section at Nordstrom’s or causally browsing Steve Madden online; regardless if you are having a literal or virtual experience the same thought seems to pop into every girls mind; “OMG these are so cute. But do I actually need them? Fear not ladies because here are some tips on the 9 shoes you do really need. That’s right, I am your excuse to dismiss all those rational and responsible thoughts and swipe that credit card.

1)   Pump (Black & Nude)

Pumps are crucial for a couple of reasons. Starting with the fact that they are classic and timeless. Investing in a pump means you will probably have it for the next decade and never have to worry about it going out of style. Another reason why these colors are so important is that they will literally go with everything. Think black in the winter/fall and nude in the spring/summer. You can pair them with your pencil skirt to work or with that red flirty dress for the bar. These shoes are a quick go-to that you can never go wrong with.

2)   Wedges

Wedges are your go-to shoes all summer long. They can take a casual tank and jeans shorts from day to night with just a cute pair of wedges. They go with everything and allow you to dress up your style with next to no effort. Not to mention, wedges are so comfortable that standing in them at your forth of July BBQ will feel like a breeze. These will be a pair of shoes you always have in your beach tote that will go with pretty much anything in your summer or spring wardrobe.

3)   Flats

So I know all you working girls can relate to me on this one, wearing pumps and stilettos all day at the office does a number on you. That hidden pair of patent leather flats under you desk will come to the rescue more times than one. Not to mention they are the perfect shoes to pair with a jean and button down shirt if you are trying for a more casual look. They are a comfortable and cute alternative to dress down an outfit or even to just change it up with a pop of color!

4)   Rider Boots

Well everyone needs a pair of rider boots for the fall. You can pair them with jeans, skirts, and dresses; basically they make your legs look longer in just about anything. They are durable so you can wear them to your fall tailgates but they are also dressy enough to wear out to dinner with you friends. They allow you to capture the rustic fall look and be comfortable while doing it.

5)   Workout Shoe

After all we are girls and we are known to be oh so active; meaning we need a shoe to keep up with our busy selves. A workout shoe if a must have in any shoe collection. From being your best friend at the gym or when you are running around campus going to class and doing errands; a workout shoe will give an athletic look with literally zero effort. These shoes will support your feet in any situation to the point that you will forget they are even on. Pick you favorite color and brighten up your wardrobe with an awesome workout shoe!

6)   Sandals

Everyone girl needs a pair of cute sandals. I’m sure you all agree but just to make sure I’ll name a couple reasons. One it gets super hot in the summer and nothing feels better than running around in a light sandal. Also there are thousands of designs and styles that you can get. They can go with a cute sundress or a pair of white jeans. They are a great alternative to a wedge but still add some fun to your look. Basically they are essential to the summer wardrobe and if you don’t already have a pair I suggest you buy some ASAP.

7)   Combat Boot

Some may ask; “I already have a rider boot, why would I need a short boot too?” Well the thing is a rider boot doesn’t always do the trick. A short black leather boot can give you that edge that a taller boot cant. Wear an oversized blouse, a tight pair of leather leggings and combat boots and I promise you will feel a whole new sense of edge. A shorter boot draws the eye back to how long your legs really are. So ladies, I suggest combat boots as an awesome alternative.

8)   Winter Boot

If you live anywhere in the Midwest, East Coast, or North West, I strongly suggest investing in a pair of winter boots. Why? Because you may die if you don’t. I promise they can be cute, if you choose the right style. Pair them with a pair of fun wool socks and your North face parka and you will be ready to embrace the cold in style.

9)   Bootie

Last but certainty not least is the Bootie. They are the perfect going out shoe. I suggest black so you can pair them with any tight dress, skirt, and legging. They will be your best friend at the bar or club for one reason; they aren’t that high. We all know by 2 am you don’t want to be walking around in 6 inch heals when there’s 5 feet of snow outside. The Bootie is perfect because it is a smaller chunkier heals that still looks so cute with any outfit.

So these are the 9 pairs of shoes you should never feel guilty about buying. They will take the stress out of dressing for that last minute party and they will be a lifesaver when you just need something to throw on. Pick a brand or style that fits your personality. At the end of the day, the confidence you have in your outfit is what makes any girl look stunning. These are the types you should get, but be originally with the brand and style! I’m giving you the okay to push that checkout button because these are 9 must have’s!

Photo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Style Bloggist/Fashion Enthusiast/New York Inspired
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!