6 Gilmore GIrls Trends We Wish Were Still Socially Acceptable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

In honor of Gilmore Girls being added to Netflix, it’s time to reminisce on the crazy fashion that the characters of the show pulled off flawlessly. It’s time to recognize the top six trends that we all wish were still popular and acceptable today!

The “Put a Clip in a Random Place on my Head” Look

I think it’s unanimous that this hairstyle would make life so much easier for girls today. All you have to do is throw a random clip in to add to an outfit? Yes please! Please easy, crazy hairstyles, come back to us.

Funky, Colorful Animal Sweaters

Lane’s colorful personality was often shown off by her sense of style. Her fun sweaters were an easy, yet stylish (for the time period) way to show her energetic and excited mindset on the outside. How great would it be to be able to wake up and throw on some random funky sweater with jeans? Answer: pretty dang awesome.

Sleeveless Turtlenecks

What better way is there to warm your neck but keep the rest of you cool? We can’t thank Lorelai enough for enlightening us on this bold fashion choice. It’s the best way to stay comfy, yet keep the perfect temperature.

Crazy Color Golf Hats

To be able to channel one’s inner Rory/Richard golf outing, the colorful hat with a poof on the end is a must! It’d be so much fun to be able to try out different colorful and crazy hats with outfits. I can’t help but hope that this, one day, becomes a thing.

The Lorelai Biker Bandana

How cool would it be to still be able to wear cool bandanas as a part of a typical outfit? Lorelai, pulls off the casual bandana flawlessly. It’s pretty clear she makes us all long for the time when randomly pairing unique bandanas with outfits was perfectly normal.

The Same Old Plaid Shirt and Backwards Hat Everyday Look

The easiest outfit choice by far would be Luke’s plaid shirt and backwards hat style. The guy exemplifies the whole “if it works, why change it” thing. If wearing almost the same exact thing every single day was acceptable, I’m pretty sure we’d all like to partake. Way to defy social norms, Luke.

So thank you Gilmore Girls, for your insightful and bold fashion statements that we all still admire today. The early 2000’s were a great movement for style.

Photo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Brey Clark

Saint Mary's

Big on comedies, fashion, shopping, and HerCampus :)
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!