5 Things That Make a South Bend Winter Tolerable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

With the changing of seasons from fall to winter, and like most things in life, people absolutely dread change (especially when it goes from something great to something not so great). I’m here to report five reasons why winter isn’t exactly the cold hearted brat it disguises its self as. I mean, what has South Bend winter ever done to you besides cause seasonal depression, not want to get up in the morning and your hair to freeze on your walk to class after taking a shower? It’s not THAT cold outside…..okay it is, i’m trying to be positive here so let’s get started!

1.  STARBUCKS HOLIDAY RED CUPS!

Being an overly-busy college student, it’s basically second nature to down at least five cups of coffee throughout the day. I mean, who wants to fall asleep mid bio lecture and miss out on learning about mitosis and meiosis? Or mid math lecture and miss learning how to finance your money correctly? I sure don’t–hello SHOPPING. The only answer is COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE and the only thing better than a steaming hot cup of Joe from Starbucks, is a steaming hot cup of Joe from Starbucks in a red holiday cup. The infamous red cup marks the beginning of the Holiday season and if that doesn’t bring instant joy, well then you might be the Grinch. But seriously, it’s like instant happiness in cup form. Not to mention, Starbucks adds special holiday drinks during the winter season such as Gingerbread latte, Caramel Brulee latte and the ever so delicious Peppermint mocha. It’s impossible not to walk around campus with a glistening smile on your face when you’re rocking one of these stylish red cups in your right hand. Happy sipping!

2.  The wardrobe!

Since we are all lucky enough to attend an all-girls school, we get the ease of not having to put much effort into our weekly class attire. Crop top season is over and it’s time to bring out the boxes of winter clothes that have been collecting dust in the back of your closets since move in day in August. For the most part, all you need are a pair of black leggings (or multiple if you’re like me and sport the black leggings Monday through Friday), a durable winter coat to shield you from those horrible Lake Michigan-effect winds we all dread encountering, and a pair of winter boots to keep your toes from falling off (TG for Uggs). Who cares what you put on underneath your coat because I guarantee your classmates and professors won’t notice that you accidentally wore your shirt with Hello Kitty on the front because chances are you won’t take your jacket off anyway. Getting ready after spending twenty minutes complaining slash simultaneously crying about having to leave your warm and cozy bed takes minimal effort and that’s something to be grateful for. 

3. Instagrams!

It’s no secret that Saint Mary’s is an all-around gorgeous campus, and have you ever noticed the University across the street and that sparkling Golden Dome that SMC gave Notre Dame? There’s nothing quite like walking up the Avenue and soaking in the breathtaking view or lighting a candle at the grotto and being captivated by its beauty. Upon seeing these magnificent sights, it’s hard to fight the urge to whip out your camera and snap a million pictures for Instagram. With snow falling like crazy and covering the once green grass and trees, South Bend transforms into a winter wonderland that is literally picture perfect. They say you only regret the pictures you don’t take, so go ahead throw on your winter gear and head out into the terrains of South Bend with your camera and snap away with no shame, you definitely won’t regret it.

4.  Unapologetically watching Netflix!

With the weather at frighteningly cold temperatures and the snow coming in droves , it’s perfectly acceptable to not move from your bed for hours on end and binge watch the latest seasons of New Girl or episodes of Revenge. You have a built in excuse that no one can say anything about because the weather is less than ideal. So grab your munch money, take the tunnel to the student center (that’s a given during the winter months, obviously), and purchase your favorite bag of candy along with a combo meal and head back to your bed cause you’ve got a date with the most loyal boyfriend of all; Netflix. 

5.  

Most importantly, the ultimate way to get through the cold winter months is by sticking to the four main food groups- Candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup. No explanation needed. 

Photos 1, 2, 3, and 4

Ansley Plaetzer

Saint Mary's

Pizza enthusiast