5 Staple Lipsticks For Every Makeup Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

In the beauty world’s, the cycle rotates between emphasis on the eyes and the lips. Currently, it’s all about lipstick and making a statement is the new trend. Martine Williamson, vice president of global marketing at Revlon, confirmed this notion when she comment on how since 2011 lipstick sales have skyrocketed compared to surge in smoky eye shadows in 2009. While bold colors are in this fashion season with designers dressing there models in neon lip colors in New York Fashion Week, lighter colors are also essential for any women’s makeup collection. These are some great tips on what 5 colors and brands to choose when looking for lipstick and that will take you into any season.

1) Ruby Woo by MAC: $16.00

Every girl needs a matte red lip color in her collection. Revealed in New York as well as Paris Fashion week, red is in this fall! Ruby Woo has been a classic red go to for years and can make in look pop. Matte red is a great look to rock during the fall and winter. It adds a level of sophistication to your look, and not to mention makes you look pop! It is important to understanding one thing about choosing red lipstick, picking the wrong one can totally ruin an outfit. Ruby Woo has been a classic go to for makeup stylists everywhere due its versatility with a range of skin tones.

2) Taffetas Rose by Chanel: $35.00

Chanel excels in their high moisturizing formula that is found in all of their lipsticks. However, a plum color is essential for the fall and spring seasons as well. A plum or purple lip is a bolder look but gives off a dramatic and sexy touch to any outfit. A dark purple can give an all-black outfit some dimension not to mention make one bold statement. Girls don’t be afraid to step out of the box with a bold lip color. Light eye makeup and a plum lip color can make a statement all on its own. If you are looking for a touch to complete that edgy black leather outfit you plan on sporting, choose Taffetas Rose by Chanel.  Chanel does a great job of incorporating the right about of plum to not over power the face but to add a degree of pop!

3) Nude Beige by Yves Saint Laurent: $35.00

With every bold lipstick, a lighter color is needed. Nude Beige is the perfect baby pink nude that will go with any outfit all year round. It adds the finishing touches to any look while bringing out the natural rosiness of your skin tone. This lipstick can be your go too when you need to throw it in your clutch for a small get together or a night out on the town. This color compliments any skin tone and provides a soft and classic look. The light pink aspect will allow your lips to be seen but understated.

4) Honolulu Honey by Nars: $26.00

A plain nude is also a very important aspect to a lipstick collection. A nude lip offers you to take the focus to another aspect of you look. Its gives uniformity to the bottom half on your face and allows you to play up your eyes or you checks. Nude lipstick can be worn at any time throughout the year and can be a great alternative to a pink nude lip. It allows you the option to choose to play up your lips or let another feature take the spotlight. Nars Honolulu Honey has always been a staple in the nude lipstick column and can complement your look in a very subtle way.

5) Mandarine Bolero by Givenchy: $36.00

A coral or orange pop of color can be worn all spring and summer long. Givenchy’s Mandarine Bolerdo is a muted red orange that fits perfectly in the warmer seasons. It goes perfect with your sundress and its does a great job in playing up your tan (for those of you that have one). Oranges and corals also look great on paler skin ladies due to ability to make you pop. It is a fun look to spice up you look in the summer and it can be a great finishing touch to any look. The muted combination allows the orange to peak through just enough that it will not over power your look. Being bold and deciding on a fun lip can always push a good outfit to a fabulous one!

Lipstick is often referred to as the most feminine beauty product. It has been highlighting the lips and jaw structures of women for decades and have become the cherry on top of any look. New York and Paris Fashion Week have shown that red and wine/plum colors are in and that women should not be afraid to step out of the box and try and bold lip. Nudes are necessary due to their accessibility and convenience all year round. Lastly, coral is the perfect pop of color any girl needs in the summer. These are quality investments in very established makeup lines that will complete your entire silhouette. By choosing these 5 colors, you are investing in staples in your makeup collection that can take you through all the seasons of the year. Be bold, be subtle, be beautiful, and let lipstick be your spontaneous pick-me-up.

Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5, Photo 6

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram! 

Style Bloggist/Fashion Enthusiast/New York Inspired
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!