5 Reasons Why I Love Winter (And you should, too!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

So, it’s the middle of February. The ground hog has seen his shadow and it looks like we are in for a couple more weeks of winter. I know most people on campus—and in the Midwest in general—are thinking, “Really?! Enough is enough already!” With not one, but two, polar vortexes behind us and the snow piling up each week, it seems to me most of us are pretty fed up with Mother Nature.

I, on the other hand, have a much different perspective.

I love winter.

There, I said it! When it seems like everyone is thinking, “More snow?! I knew I should have gone to school in the South” I’m still thinking this is the most wonderful time of year! In fact, I wanted to go to school someplace where I could count on a Winter Wonderland from December to March. And so, I offer you snow-hating, cold-loathing individuals five reasons to love winter.

1. Saint Mary’s is gorgeous in the winter.

It has been said that SMC transforms into a winter wonderland, a tiny snowglobe really, when the snow starts to fall. Upon experiencing my first couple of snowstorms here at Saint Mary’s—I couldn’t agree more! Take advantage of the beauty of our campus. Grab you camera, get outside, and capture the beauty of SMC! Below is a photo of the Avenue that I snapped back in December.

2. There is so much to do!

Coming from the Northeast, the Midwest is definitely lacking the topography necessary for my favorite winter pastime, skiing. Still, get outside and enjoy the winter weather with your favorite Smick sisters. fMake snow angels, build a snowman, have a snowball fight. If you’re going to be stuck in this snowglobe, you might as well have some fun!

3. It’s NOT HOT.

When bitter cold makes even the walk from the Student Center to the library seem unbearable, I like to think back to Move In Day and the weeks that followed. I would much rather sleep soundly cuddled under several blankets when the temperature dips below zero than be laying a top my comforter, sweating at 2am, cursing my useless room fan. When it feels like frostbite has set in, remember the sweat stains of late August.

4. Comfy Cozy attire is always in.

Parkas and leggings and Bean boots…oh my! Part of what I love the very most about Saint Mary’s is that big sweaters, leggings, sweatpants, and fuzzy socks will always be in. Take advantage of the opportunity to bundle up while staying cute (and comfy!) at the same time.

5. The very thought (or, this year, reality!) of having a snow day!

Growing up in Upstate New York, there was no better feeling than the uncertainty and excitement the night before a big snow storm. That is, other than waking up and having your mom tell you school has been canceled, go back to bed. Granted, snow days are far less frequent here at Saint Mary’s than they were for me growing up. Still, there’s always that

small glimmer of hope, the tiny possibility that the next big storm (or Polar Vortex) will cancel classes.

So, have I convinced you? Are you pulling on some snowpants to go frolick in the snow with your closest friends? No? Well its ok, spring will be here soon enough. 

Photos provided by the author

Emily Beaudoin

Saint Mary's

SMC '17