5 Media Campaigns That Challenge Gender Stereotypes Against Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Tall, skinny, full chested, face filled with makeup, full hair, flawless complexion, subordinate, weak, domestic, sexy but also innocent. These are just a few of the many negative ways that the media has been portraying women for years. As a society, we tend to blame the media for these false ideologies on how women are physically and socially portrayed. Lately however, I have noticed growing attention towards the media using campaigns empowering young girls and women to accept their bodies, minds, and own capabilities despite social norms. We want our younger sisters and future daughters to grow up being confident in their capabilities and comfortable in their own bodies. So where does everything go wrong? These following advertisements and campaigns are breaking those barriers and are becoming stepping stones to the future of women in the media. Take a look and see what you think!

Always #LikeAGirl

This Always commercial has swept the nation to take a stand against the phrase, “like a girl.” This phrase is commonly heard by adolescent girls who are starting to figure out who they are. This phrase makes them question their own capabilities to be strong and insults their efforts.  This commercial wants to show the world that running “like a girl” is nothing other than running to win the race. 

Verizon “Inspire Her Mind”

Like the advertisement says, “66% percent of adolescent girls enjoy math and sciences, yet only 18% of engineers are females”. Our words to our sisters and future daughters have a huge impact on what they would like to pursue. We need to focus on girls being praised for their mind and not just for their looks.

HelloFlo “The Camp Gyno”

In this hilarious take on adolescent girls going through puberty, this ad encourages girls to not be embarrassed by their body changes.  Adolescent girls’ self-esteem is highly suggestible at this time and they shouldn’t feel embarrassed by something they cannot control.

Colbie Caillat “Try” Music Video

Colbie Caillat took a stand against the media photoshopping and retouching by removing all makeup in her new music video, “Try.” This awesome song tells girls and women that they are beautiful just the way they are and no amount of makeup can be better than the real you.

Pantene #ShineStrong Campaign

Aimed toward an older female audience, this commercial exposes societies double standards on the labels against women. The Pantene #ShineStrong campaign advocates for women not be held back by the labels society has accepted as the norm. It’s time for women to always Shine Strong.

Although these advertisements may not make a change in society overnight, it is important that the message is still out there and growing rapidly. It is time for our young girls to embrace their interests, bodies and minds without others telling them they can’t. Younger girls already have the capabilities to do amazing things; it’s our turn to make sure they can reach their full potential. 

Molly Briody

Saint Mary's

Molly is a junior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. Molly is majoring in psychology and minoring in social work. Ireland is her second home and loves anything to do with being on a lake, Chicago, listening to country music, and above all hanging out with her Belles!