34 Thoughts Every Girl Has When Looking At An Inspirational Poster

I’m in my room it’s a typical Tuesday night…but really. LeMans Hall 7 p.m. and I’m looking around, thinking about how to make my dorm décor more extensive. It was then that I finally read the largest sign in the double that my roomie bought a couple years ago. I never had read the sign over completely, but when I did, a few (34 to be exact) thoughts ran through my head.

The sign is beautiful and so inspiring, and as I read down the list of 34 things I apparently need to do, I wondered, “Could I check all of these off?” So, I tested myself. And I’m pretty positive I’m not the only one who does so…

The sign is labeled “LIFE” and reads as a follows; with my thoughts after:

1) Find a passion and pursue it. Okay, I love writing and I write in my journal every day – that’s pursuing it right? Oh wait… okay Her Campus is good…okay good, I’m doing well. Check for number 1.

2) Fall in love. ERROR. TBD. 

3) Dream big. I mean…kind of difficult in a twin-sized dorm room bed, right? Just kidding I have big dreams. And they include a salary that affords me the fanciest Keurig and my own golden retriever. Check?

4) Drink wine, eat great food, and spend quality time with good friends. I love wine. In foreign countries when I’m legal. (3 more months, 3 more months!) Feta cheese is great food. I love my friends. K cool, cool.

5) Laugh everyday. Does laughing at myself count? If so, still going strong here.

6) Believe in magic. *Cue Aly & AJ’s 2005 re-indition of “Do You Believe in Magic* and if by magic, “pixie dust” is implied, then yes. I believe in magic and Disney World and Tinker Bell. Always.

7) Tell stories. Awesome cool, this is great, I love telling stories!!! Irish dog bite story or the time I fainted in Greece? Check check check.

8) Reminisce about the good old days but look with optimism to the future. Pumpkin patches and tulip fields in Seattle, beach mornings with mommy in Guam…doing well on the past…as for the future, let’s just say as a Communications & Writing major, I dread the “so what are you gonna do with that?” question. I. DON’T. KNOW. YET. Half-check? 

9) Travel often. Perfect, love it, check, check.

10) Learn more. Okay actually all my classes this semester are discussion classes and I love talking so this is great. Cliche but the older I get, the more I want to know. It’s pretty cool, actually! Check.

11) Be creative. Uhhh…I put honey and cinnamon in my tea…?

12) Spend time with people you admire. Belles. I admire my Belles so much. Alumnae Belles, my professor Belles, senior Belles with all their amazing job offers, my best friend Belles who I have the most amazing talks with. Total check. 100%.

13) Seize opportunities when they reveal themselves. Like when they had kale in the dining hall.

14) Love with all your heart. I really hope my friends and family would give me a good grade on this one. I know my dog would. #CuddleBuddyForever

15) Never give up. Okay yeah but I mean like you can’t exactly beg for an A when you clearly got an answer wrong? You know? Like this can only go so far….but I get it.

16) Do what you love. Writing, running, kickin’ it with my Belles, binge-watching Friends, dancing to Taylor Swift with my guy friends…I think I’ve got that one covered.

17) Be true to who you are. Don’t worry, “LIFE” poster, I will always be the clumsy, sentimental, and happy person I am. Check.

18) Make time to enjoy the simple things in life. Two words: (Trader Joe’s) cookie butter. Simple. Perfect. Enjoyed in life. Easy check. Way too easy.

19) Spend time with family. When I’m home I literally only hangout with my mom. Soooo yeah…check.

20) Forgive even when it’s hard. Ugh. Been there, done that. Poster, why ya gotta be so true?

21) Smile often. They didn’t call me “smiley” in third grade for nothing…

22) Be grateful. Well, Saint Mary’s makes that pretty easy. Check.

23) Be the change you wish to see in the world. Thanks, Ghandi. I’ll make some moves one day.

24) Follow your dreams. I mean… I really, reeallly want that golden retriever.

25) Try new things. Oooo ooo, check, check! Sailing duh….

26) Work hard. Alright, poster, I see you. As I’ve gotten older, this is so, so true. Check because I’m actually being serious!

27) Don’t count the minutes; count the laughs. But like…how do you count laughs? Because I have more than one laugh in one laughing fit…you know what I mean? No check.

28) Embrace change. Aw. I hate change. No check. But I guess moving from the south to the Midwest counts…si?

29) Trust in yourself. Welp. Each time I’ve gone against a gut feeling…it’s gone badly. Sooo alright, sign, alright, alright, alright.

30) Be thankful. Isn’t that the same thing as grateful….? Double check!!

31) Be nice to everyone. Total check! Why the heck would ya wanna be mean?!

32) Be happy. I mean if I’m smiling at this one that immediately grants me a check, right?!

33) Live for today. Wake up, drink some coffee, do my thing, love everyone…that’s what that means, I think! Check?

34) And above all…make every moment count. Oh goodness. Sentimentality makes me do so. Happy to check that one off.

So every point on this sign is pretty true and really made me think once I took the time to read it. But I’m twenty years old and have no idea what I’m going to do with the rest of my life. However, I am so, so excited to find out, and I feel as though I’m gathering the tools to best prepare myself for the future. Junior year…so far, so fantastic. 

Photos provided by the author

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!