This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Saint Mary’s may have survived the polar vortex of 2019, but we aren’t out of the woods yet! Winter still has a lot more to show us before we finally see spring. Read below for tips on how to stay warm (and safe) in these frigid temperatures!

1. Layer!

Don’t be afraid to layer a sweater with a flannel or cardigan under your warmest coat. Additional layers can protect your from the cold. 

2. Avoid jeans.

Jeans can keep the cold in while the cold sucks the heat out. Opt for layering leggings or flannel-lined pants. 

3. Don’t skip the accessories. 

Scarves, gloves, earmuffs, and the like make all the difference! Don’t forget to throw them on if you head outdoors!

4. Keep your shoes safe. 

Make sure your shoes can walk in the snow and ice while also insulating your toes. 

5. Avoid sweat. 

If you start to sweat, remove some layers so the sweat doesn’t freeze and lower your body temperature. 

6. Have a good coat on hand. 

A coat that is well insulated with a cozy hood can protect you from the wind and temperature. 

7. Double up on the socks. 

Since your feet are walking through the snow, double up your socks to keep your feet warm. 

8. Stay hydrated and drink warm drinks. 

It is always important to drink water, but hot tea, coffee, or cocoa is a good beverage to add on. 

9. Stay inside if you can.

Sometimes it may be  better to do hang out in your room than to hang out at Notre Dame this season. 

10. Penguin Shuffle!

If you do need to go outside, stay safe on the ice!

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.