10 Things I Wish Someone Told Me as a Freshman at SMC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Starting my junior year at Saint Mary’s has made me look back on a lot of things—friends, classes, late night Krispy Kreme runs when the app tells my friend Allie and I the hot light is on… it’s been a long and interesting journey so far, and I can’t wait to see what comes next. However, I can’t help but think of a few things I wish I knew before I started at Saint Mary’s

1. The Dining Hall isn’t your friend. Sorry not sorry.

2. Speaking of friends, you might not be best friends with everyone right away, and that’s okay. It might feel like everyone has their group right off the bat, but I promise your people are out there, and you’ll find them. Look for people you feel comfortable with, and who build you up and support you—those are the friends you’ll have forever

3. Don’t go to Cyber every day at the beginning of the semester. You’ll regret it in October when your munch money is gone, you’re sick of the DH, and you’re craving Jimmy John’s

4. Explore South Bend! There are so many places to go off campus that aren’t the mall or Eddy Street. Go to live music nights at chicory café (Try the beignets—Trust me) or get a cup of coffee at The Local Cup. Volunteer at La Casa de Amistad, or walk along the South Bend Riverwalk!

5. Get involved on campus. There are so many clubs and activities to join, so attend a few meetings and see what really interests you, and really get involved in that club’s activities and volunteering!

6. It’s okay to say no to things. You don’t have to be involved in everything, and if you need time to relax, take it. Don’t feel like you have to commit to everything that’s available or overwork yourself all the time.

7. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Eating well and exercising is important, but so is taking time to relax and destress. If you need someone to talk to, don’t be afraid to go to the Health and Counseling center and talk to a counselor. You’re never alone on campus, even if it might feel like it sometimes. And, if you see someone else struggling, reach out to them. Something small can make a big difference

8. Speak up for what you want, and ask lots of questions. Speak out against injustice, both on campus and off. Be proud of your beliefs, and stand behind them, but be respectful to those who have different ones. At the end of the day, you have more similarities with others than you do differences, and you can use this to bring people together.

9. Be your own Belle. It might feel like you have to act a certain way, wear certain clothes, or fit a certain stereotype to be considered a “Belle”, when honestly the one thing that makes you a Belle is going to Saint Mary’s. There is no wrong way to be one, and your unique traits and characteristics make our campus

10. If you don’t think you’re going to be okay, don’t worry. This will pass. Everything changes—classes, friends, relationships, grades, jobs, even you. And that’s okay! College is a time for great change, and Saint Mary’s is an incredible place to do it. Even though it seems impossible, your time here will help you discover your place in the world. Breathe. You’re going to be just fine. I promise.

Image c/o Meredith’s Facebook

Meredith Mackowicz

Saint Mary's '19

"as unpredictable as a dad on a field trip" resident assistant, brooklyn 99 fanatic, amateur ukulele-ist, & cat mom taking collegiette life one day at a time. Campus Correspondent at Saint Mary's College
Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.