This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

1. Apologies without action are empty. 

Sometimes people hurt you or you hurt others. If apologies are not followed by change in action, only more hurt can occur. 

2. My self worth is not based in anyone else’s opinion. 

I am not made up of the opinion’s of others. My value is based on who I am and the choices I make, not on what people say. 

3. Quality time is essential. 

Friends and family deserve your time with them. It is important to make the effort to show them you care. 

4. Take risks. 

Give yourself permission to do things that scare you. 

5. Set boundaries for yourself. 

Learn how to say no to things so you don’t push yourself too far. It may disappoint people, but it will allow you to be more successful in what you can say yes to while also allowing yourself to be honest with those around you. 

6. Invest time in yourself. 

Even when you are loaded down with work, take the time to do things that make you happy. 

7. Let go of anything which doesn’t serve you or others. 

Even if you feel obligated, don’t force yourself to hold onto things which do not make you happy. By holding on to a feeling, relationship or position that doesn’t help you or others grow, everyone suffers. 

8. Celebrate your victories. 

Give yourself permission to be proud of progress or achievements you make. 

9. Take time to disconnect. 

With overloaded news feeds and events, take time to put your phone down and disconnect from the media noise. 

10. It’s okay to leave some things and people in the past. 

As we enter a new year, reflect on the things you can look forward to and understand what things can be left behind. 

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.