andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Reasons Why You Should Travel To Croatia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

When people talk about traveling they talk about Ireland, Italy, France, Spain, or a variety of other countries that are “easy” to travel around. But, I am here to tell you that I am one of the many (I’m sure) that completely fell in love with Croatia. After spending almost five months living in Ireland, it became my home. Even when I went on weekend trips to Amsterdam, Liverpool, London, Poland, Austria, or one of the other 15 countries I visited, I was always ready to come back to Ireland. Except for when I went to Croatia. I was not ready to come home. The people I met, and the sights I saw were unlike anything I had ever experienced. So, if you get the chance, GO TO CROATIA.

1.   Maybe you won’t be able to speak the language, but it is beautiful. And everyone knows English, and wants to practice it on you.

2.   If you like seafood, you need to try seafood from the Adriatic Sea. MIND. BLOWN.

3.   If you drink water, (who doesn’t drink water) they have the coolest glass bottles that have a quote on them. Don’t worry they are in Croatian and English!

4.   If you go to Croatia, go to Zadar. It is a modern city with an underwater organ that can be heard throughout the town when you are close to the sea. If you don’t believe me, look it up!

5.   Spend time near the sea, because no matter what kind of camera you have, every picture will turn out amazing. (These were taken on my crappy Iphone 4).

6.   Actually, any picture you take will be unbelievably beautiful.

7.   If you are driving around the country, stop at random places. Because that 40 minute pit stop could end up being a secluded gem.

8.   When walking around, take the back alleys. Do not be that tourist that is going to find certain things, take a picture and be done. Because you never know what great places you might find along the way.

9.   If you are interacting with a native of Croatia, try and learn the language. Or at least ‘please’, ‘thank you’, and ‘hello’.

(This is Thank You)

10.  I saved the best for last. If you go to Croatia and don’t go to Plitvice Lakes National Park I will hold it against you, and I will judge you. Every single picture you take there, will look amazing. I promise.

BONUS: Am I the only one who thinks this looks like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets??

Photos provided by author

Shannon Whelan

Saint Mary's

Therese Burke

Saint Mary's