jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Reasons Steven Universe is an Underrated Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

While Steven Universe, a Cartoon Network show created by Rebecca Sugar, seems like just a “silly kid’s TV show,” the show actually has immense emotional depth and dramatic story structure. Here are 10 reasons why you should start watching Steven Universe if you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon already!

1. The music.

Whether it’s a jam like “Stronger than You” or a meditative song like “Here Comes a Thought,” the songs of Steven Universe have the perfect song for wgatever mood you’re in.

2. The animation.

The animation style makes every character feel unique to themseleves. It may not be the most intricate animation style, but the characters still have their own personal style and personality. 

3. The plot twists.

While the show may seem trivial at times, every detail seems to matter when a big plot twist is revealed. And trust me, you do not want to miss the drama

4. The empathy of the show.

At the heart of the show, empathy is what wins the day. It is so refreshing to see a show which teaches that empathy and communication can win our biggest battles. 

5. The episodes are easy to watch.

Each episode is only 11 minutes, perfect to watch between classes or during a study beak!

6. The representation.

While the gems may not be humans, the Steven Universe characters come in all sorts of different sizes, colors, and forms, all of which they are celebrated for!

7. The fashion.

The gems serve lewks throughout the series. Every outfit change is bound to have some added flair. 

9. The relationships.

The show depicts what a healthy relationship look and feel like, and what healthy relationships aren’t by comparing it to an unhealthy relationship. 

10. The voice actors.

Meg from Hercules? Estelle? Patti LuPone? Nicki Minaj? Even the biggest celebrities know what’s up with this show!

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.