10 Christmas Gift Ideas for the Broke College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

1.  Offer a service. 

Sure you may be short on money, but offering to help clean out a garage, repaint a room, or babysit without charge can make a big difference to the life of someone you love when you are home for the holidays.

2. Make a Mason Jar gift.

If you want to give someone you love a special treat, toss them all in a mason jar and tie a bow on top! Hot chocolate, s’mores, cupcakes, the possibilities are endless. They don’t have to be culinary, they could be beauty based too! You can make various scented sugar scrubs in addition to treats.  

3.  Sew pocket hand warmers or other winter gear. 

Even if you don’t know how to sew, Google some simple sewing projects and learn! There of plenty of designs for hand warmers and scarfs online to make for your special someone. 

4. Design a mug. 

Grab a white mug and write a special message to give someone you love on Christmas. 

5. Create a beauty basket. 

People are always in need of toiletries. Grab someone a basket of beauty products such as perfume, nail polish, or hair accessories. All are relatively inexpensive and can make someone feel beautiful on Christmas. 

6. Make handmade soap. 

Make your Christmas a science experiment. Google some simple recipes to make handmade soap to fit the needs of your special someone. 

7. Put your painting skills to use. 

You can paint wood for plenty of crafts: handmade earrings, a picture frame with a special message- the possibilities are endless!

8. A Handmade Recipe Book. 

For the cook in your life, find some new recipes they may want to try out and compile them into a book or deck.

9. Knit a chunky blanket.

Chunky blankets are easy to make and super comfortable for whoever receives it!

10. Create a Christmas ornament. 

Its the perfect time of the year to add something new to the tree!

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.