bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Simple Ways To Go Sustainable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

1. Use a reusable water bottle.  

Actually, use reusable everything!  Let’s rid ourselves of one-use plastic.  Pack your lunches in containers, bring your own bags to the grocery store, and hydrate yourself using a water bottle that you won’t be throwing out at the end of the day. If you do have to use single-use plastic, RECYCLE!

2. Take shorter showers.  

This doesn’t mean that you have to take five-minute showers (but go you if you do this!), but shortening your shower by a few minutes will still have an impact.

3. Shop at farmers markets, if you can.  

Not only will you be getting fresh products and supporting local growers, but you’ll be able to help reduce single-use plastic by bringing your own containers and bags!  Plus, how fun are farmers markets?

4. Take public transportation or do ride shares.

Better yet, walk or bike!

5. Unplug devices that aren’t in use and turn off that light or fan if it’s not necessary.

6. Don’t get receipts or opt for getting them e-mailed to you.  

We all know that those receipts are going to end up in the trash anyway, so why not just save a couple of trees.

7. Air dry your clothing if possible.

8. Use towels rather than single-use paper towels.  

You can pop these into the wash and use them over and over again.  A tip for painters (especially oil painters), old shirts make the perfect rags!  You can even get a whole bunch from the thrift shop for cheap.

9. Skip.  That. Straw.  

It’s so easy to do and if you really enjoy straws, invest in a reusable one!

10. Thrift rather than buying fast fashion!  

You can find really cool pieces at great prices, and you’ll be doing your part to help the environment.

11. Being aware.

Reading labels, keeping updated with the news, and educating those around you.  Just the flow of information can make a huge impact.

And remember, you don’t need to immediately go to the extreme.  Making small tweaks makes a big contribution!

Mixed media artist from Los Angeles, currently studying in Chicago.
Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.