This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

It seems like today the topic of the objectification of  women has become an issue that is often talked about, especially in a much more liberal society where people have been so active to fight for their rights. Earlier this week, feeling the urge of being sexy, I put on an outfit that could be referred to as quite “dominatrix-like”. So I started to wonder, am I not “allowed” to dress like a dominatrix, simply because this might be someone’s fantasy and I could be seen as objectifying myself?    

So, what exactly is objectification? With many questions in mind I started to do some research. Starting off with the dictionary definition, the meaning of objectification is quite literal. In terms of social philosophy, “objectification is the act of treating a person, or sometimes an animal, as an object or a thing”. It is undeniable that objectification is an act of dehumanization, and has been discussed as a very negative and morally problematic phenomenon. Despite having a clear definition in mind, a grey area still exists, specifically in the case of sexual objectification.

Sexual objectification is often mentioned when discussing exposing one’s body, and performing in the nude or near nude in shows such as burlesque. Famous burlesque dancer Dita Von Teese, who has made her fame on her alluring charm within her shows, has discussed her desire to be objectified in one of her interviews. Teese says, “the desire of being objectified, it is so taboo, but I really believe it is kind of liberating to engage in old fashion taboos and just indulge them.” There is something very tempting to me about this, and being objectified in my own way. It’s interesting that she brought up something that I have thought about, but would never dare to admit since this could be so controversial in a time period where many women are fighting not to be objectified.

Either ways, it’s important to address my personal perspective in this article, specifically in the case of female objectification. Despite how objectification is problematic in today’s society, I believe that the power women have cannot simply be taken away by objectification. Every human being deserves to wear whatever they want to make them feel more comfortable, and in some cases that can be feeling like a sexy dominatrix.

However, I would like to reclaim that like this, most things are not absolute. Undoubtedly, there is always going to be a grey area that will always spark controversy, and what we can do is just live out the truest parts of ourselves while trying our very best not to offend anyone.

SAIC 2021, Korean/Chinese, Painting student
Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.