Gift Recommendations for the Random People in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

With the holiday season coming up, it’s time to get gifts for the people you love… and also the people you just have to get them something. These in-between relationships where you don’t know the situation or know them, or maybe something weird went down between you two but you gotta show up to the function with a present for them. Never fret! Here are my super high quality, not at all based on my real life (ahem) recommendations for all. 

1.Your mom’s cousin who you’ve talked to once

Why you’re giving them a gift this year: You’re staying at their place for the holidays

The perfect gift: Home décor! What better way to say “I appreciate you” and “thank you for letting me sleep in an actual adult bed” than to gift some houseware? A big candle or a decorative mirror are major keys.

2.Your previous boss 

Why you’re giving them a gift this year: You want them to get you that internship with those people they know at that place you really, really want to work at

The perfect gift:A fancy notebook, or a pen (the kind that have their own box). Maybe they can write your recommendation letter in that new notebook, eh? Okay we’re trying too hard. 

3.Your ex

Why you’re giving them a gift this year: Nuh-uh this was a trick question. No, you are NOT going to give them a gift as an excuse to “meet up”. Yeah, I see you!

The perfect gift: The gift of maintaining your dignity is the best gift you can give yourself. Or cold, regrettable ex sex… 

4.That one person you’re not tight with but don’t want to leave out

Why you’re giving them a gift this year: Your friends decided to do a group gift event, and they’re going to be there 

The perfect gift: Scented candle honestly does it for all of these, so I have to suggest it again. Another idea is a hot chocolate kit (they sell these at Wallgreens). It’s cute, comes with a mug and a stuffed polar bear and also who doesn’t love hot chocolate? 

5. Estranged family member

Why you’re giving them a gift this year: Maybe you’re trying to repair the relationship. Maybe you’re not trying to be disrespectful. I don’t have to ask any questions, but I can give the advice. 

The perfect gift: A care package, sent through mail. Snail mail is personal enough to be loving, but far away enough to stay estranged if you aren’t ready to actually communicate with them. You can put in postcards, some nice candy, lotions, cute socks and anything else you’d like to send them. 

Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.