This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

It’s hard to believe that a year ago last March I was living in Paris. A year later, I’m in Chicago, but my heart is still walking the streets of Paris. To keep my vagabond heart content as it dreams of the romantic Parisian rain and craves delicious croissant aux amandes, I’ve found a few ways to fuel my French roots while planted here in the U.S. On y va!

1.   Lakeview neighborhood French bakery and restaurant: Maison Marcel

Just between the Belmont and Wellington stops, a hip-and-cool interior with mouthwatering French pastries, Maison Marcel gracefully sits on N. Broadway in my favorite neighborhood. Win-win? I’ve already been to Maison Marcel twice this week. And, I mean, DANG, Maison Marcel, I think you might be second best to Paris when it comes to almond croissants (and your avocado toast is pretty damn good too). Thank you for bringing my stomach to heaven (AKA, Paris).

2.   Movies / TV: Ratatouille, Amélie, Sabrina, and Chef’s Table France

Ratatouille is undeniably one of the cutest Pixar movies created. Aside from the beautiful and ageless animation, the Parisian cityscapes from Chef Gusteau’s restaurant, the bridges along the Seine, and the sparkling Eiffel Tour at dusk alone make my romantic heart swoon. Not to mention the gorgeous scoring (that also happens to be my ringtone?).

The locations alone in Amélie fill your heart with the sweetness that Paris brings its dwellers. While the story is gentle and quirky, Amélie discoveries stories all over Paris, wandering and wondering, and as a viewer, you too are wandering and wondering the City of Lights from your couch.

Originally played by Audrey Hepburn (who doesn’t love her?), Sabrina Fairchild finds herself in Paris, sitting in cafes, writing in journals, and walking along Paris’ 37 bridges. A line famously coined by Hepburn from this film, “Paris is always a good idea,” which rings true until the ending scene where Sabrina gets a good idea and makes her home in Paris again.

I recently started watching Chef’s Table: Franceto practice my French but I’m quickly becoming invested in the stories behind renowned French chefs and the journey of their creative cuisines. Not only are the stories captivating, but the cinematography is stunning, and each meal looks trop beau. Prepare to be hungry (then refer to #1).

3.   The French Uniform

Wake-up-and-go hair, mascara, red lipstick, white t-shirt, favorite blue jeans, black blazer/leather jacket, and a trustee pair of boots. You’re ready to kick ass!

4.   A Walk

You hear it over and over: Paris is a walking city. And it is! Walking is good for the soul (and the sole). Breathe in the fresh air (or secondhand smoke), use your feet, and wander. Look around. Become familiar with your surroundings. Walks are major stress-relievers for the body. While you’re at it, I’ll be taking my walk to get my glorious baguette.

5.   Enjoyment

Likely the most important – enjoyment. The French invest in themselves! They make time for pleasure and the moments that bring them happiness. Whether that’s sipping a coffee or taking a long bike ride, whatever makes your soul soar. The French are experts at knowing when to make leisure time. I think we could all learn a lesson about making time for our own happiness. So, what are you going to enjoy right now?

I may not be in Paris right now, but my heart is content while I bring Paris to it. Á demain.

A Minneapolis native studying Art History at School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Before beginning her studies, she took a global gap year to travel extensively across eight countries. From vagabond roots, she is also passionate about ending sex trafficking (visit her e-commerce retail clothing store, www.rayebird.com, that donates 100% profits to ending sex trafficking), jumping out of planes, practicing her French, keeping up her coffee addiction, and working as an actor and model.
Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.