sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

You are Never Too Grown Up for Your Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

As teenagers, we sometimes feel as though we have so much freedom and can do everything by ourselves while being young adults. Once we can drive, we don’t need to ask for rides anymore. Once we go off to college, we are living on our own and not under our parent’s rules. Growing Up, we waited for the amazing high school and college years and sometimes wished away our childhood in doing so. As a 19 year old sophomore in college, this is an incredible and independent time in my life for sure but I’ve also recently realized I still and always will need my mom.

My mom is always there for me. Whenever I call her, whether it to be to just check in and I only answer her with mostly “Mhmm” and “Okay” or I’m balling my eyes out about being homesick or just ranting about how stressed out I am, she always answers and is there to listen. Usually, she’ll send me a follow-up text about an half hour later full of “You go girl”s and heart emojis. I could not name anyone else who would do that.

My mom is the only person who would literally drop anything she is doing if it were for me. If I’m running low, she’ll take her lunch break to put some money into my account. If I need something, she’ll use her magical powers and reward points to have it shipped to me at school the next day. When I’m home, she does my laundry and makes sure I get to eat all my favorite meals and do everything I want. I’ve witnessed it countless times and sometimes I barely show any appreciation.

Most Importantly, if it were not for my mom, I would not be here today (quite actually) and I would not be the person I am today. She brought me into the world, raised me with an infinite amount of love and support. She has been, is, and always will be my biggest fan and best friend. I truly do not know what I would do without her.

So, Ladies (and Gents), next time you call your mom to ask for something or complain, just take a moment to appreciate her and all she has done for you. Make time to spend with her and when you do, be in the moment. Make it meaningful and special. I promise your Snapchat streaks will not run out. After all, someday we may have teenagers of our own rolling their eyes at us and it may hurt our feelings. So, be kind to your mom. And to my saint of a mother and all the mothers out there, thank you for all you do. Even though we can be bad at showing it, we really do appreciate you. In the words of one of the “oldies” songs our parents listen to, “I’ll always love my mama…”

Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)