When Is It Too Early To Start The Christmas Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Everyone loves ABC Family’s, “25 Days of Christmas” special. Every night, starting December 1st, there is a different Christmas classic to watch with the family. It’s the little things like this that get everybody in the Christmas spirit. However, now there is a countdown to the 25 Days of Christmas special…a countdown to the countdown? This countdown begins November 20th–even before Thanksgiving. While some may enjoy getting into the Christmas spirit far enough in advance, some are left wondering why this holiday hype is creeping up on us even before turkey day. Sophomore Nick Fairly gives his opinion on the matter. He comments, “Starting the Christmas hype this early isn’t right. It takes away from the Thanksgiving holiday.” On the other hand, Katie Gennusa adds, “The holiday season is such a happy time of year. The one downfall is that all of the excitement leads up to one day. Once that day is over, the happiness of the Christmas holiday is over too, which is why people want to make it last as long as they can. I don’t see the harm in that.”

Television is not the only place where the Christmas spirit is being put in overdrive. We also seem to be deckling the halls earlier than ever before in our local malls. Sophomore Lindsey Balukonis says, “This year the malls were decorated even a couple days before Halloween. That’s too early. I think we should start focusing on Christmas right around Thanksgiving because I feel like Thanksgiving kicks off the holiday season.” The Christmas season is a season of giving, as is the Thanksgiving holiday. Does Thanksgiving “kick off” the Christmas season? Sophomore Leah Capobianco says, “Thanksgiving is a vital aspect of the holidays. Both Thanksgiving and Christmas are about giving and spending time with your family. Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, has also become a major aspect of the holiday season because its purpose serves to prepare for Christmas. For this reason, Thanksgiving and Black Friday, in my opinion, do kick off the Christmas spirit.”

Overall, this is a highly controversial topic because not everyone is able to enjoy the holiday season. There are numerous families who cannot afford to put presents under the tree. Some are unable to even afford a tree. Although many argue that organizations like “Toys for Tots” and “Adopt a Family” provide poor families with food and gifts during the holiday season, not every family can be helped. For families like these, Christmas is just another day that highlights all that they don’t have–all that they can’t afford. In reality, the holidays can be a stressful time for moms and dads everywhere. While those of us who still live under our parents’ roof may not experience the stresses of the holidays, many parents are under a lot of pressure money-wise. Christmas involves a great deal of giving, which, in turn, involves a great deal of spending. There are so many gifts to be given around Christmas time–gifts to brothers, sisters, moms, dads, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, friends, teachers etc. The list goes on and on. Our parents are even responsible for buying and preparing a delicious meal for the entire family come Christmas Day. By the end of the Christmas season, many moms and dads are overwhelmed by bills. It’s hard to think about a negative side to Christmas, especially at our age, but maybe that’s why there is so much Christmas hype–and so much hype starting so early. Maybe the lights, the decorations, and the countdown to the countdown are used to keep the spirit of Christmas alive when the holiday stresses try to take it away. If that’s the case, no wonder we are so eager to let the festivities begin.

Colleen O'Melia

Sacred Heart

Colleen O'Melia is a senior at Sacred Heart University. She is an English major with a concentration in Writing. Aside from being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Sacred Heart, she is President of Sacred Heart's Education Club, volunteers at a local schools, and mentors young students.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.