What I’ve Learned from Each of the Disney Princesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

If you are anything like my family, you loved watching Disney movies while growing up. If you are anything like me, you still love watching them- especially the ones that feature our iconic Disney princesses.

As a young girl, I really admired these princesses and the qualities they possessed. I wanted to look like them, sing like them, have animal sidekicks like them, and take journeys like them. As I mature, I am realizing what lessons they have taught me during my childhood and teenage years. Each princess has a unique personality and should be looked at individually.  

Belle

Starting with Belle, it is easy to see why she is an ideal role model for young women. She is ambitious, intelligent, and caring. She does not care what people think of her and she certainly does not settle for what she does not deserve (*cough* Gaston). 

She taught me the importance of showing compassion towards everyone, even when it is difficult. She also taught me to not judge a book by its cover and to value inward characteristics over beauty.

Aurora

Sleeping Beauty, aka Aurora, has the fewest lines spoken out of all the Disney princesses, but she still has taught us a couple things. Your parents really do have your best interests at heart, even if you cannot understand it in the moment. Most importantly, the power of true love’s kiss. True love can conquer anything in its path, even if that path has Maleficent in it. Thankfully Phillip and Aurora were already betrothed, but their feelings towards each other in the beginning of the movie show that some things are just meant to be.

Moana

Moana Waialiki of Montunui, the only considered princess to not have a love interest, has shown us that perseverance will lead you to achieve your goals. Face your fears, when life knocks you down (or overboard) get right back up again. She taught me to follow my own journey and the importance of self-discovery. She also showed me that you are stronger than you think, and kindness is always needed in the world. Oh, and that a chicken is not a very good co-pilot.

Ariel

Ariel was only 16 years old when she followed her heart and did whatever it took to experience life on land. She is confident in herself and takes risks. She wanted to see what true freedom was like and she let her ambitions lead her to her dreams. She reminded us to cherish our voice, because once it’s gone, you realize how much you need it. She also showed us that sometimes you need to be a little rebellious and go against your parent’s wishes to make the best life 

Snow White

Snow White, the youngest Disney princess at just fourteen years old, showed us that jealousy is a dangerous thing- she almost lost her life for possessing more beauty than the Evil Queen! Also, don’t eat food from strangers. But on a more real note, she showed us the benefits of friendship, with people and with creatures. And of course, true love triumphs all evil.

Rapunzel

Tangled is in my top two Disney movies of all time, so I especially love Rapunzel. She is adventurous, fearless, and selfless. Being locked in a tower for 18 years sure didn’t slow her down; just look at everything she did in the span of a couple days! She is talented, outgoing, and extremely loving for someone who hasn’t made a friend her whole life (besides Pascal of course). She taught us to not let fear hold us back from life experiences, don’t trust everything you hear, and to trust your gut- it may lead you back home. Ultimately, if you’ve got a dream, follow it. Also, frying pans make great weapons.

Cindarella

Cinderella is probably the most famous Disney princess, although she was not the first. This princess showed us the benefits of making friends with all animals, they can sew you a dress, give you a ride to the ball, and free you from a locked room to meet Prince Charming. She also told us to be kind to all, no matter how poorly they treat you. Never stop dreaming, because a dream that you wish will come true. 

Tiana

Although this princess spent the majority of the film as an amphibian, little girls everywhere look up to Tiana. She is an incredibly hard worker, but eventually learns you also have to make room for the fun in life. Yes, have your dreams, but remember you have to work to make them happen. She also taught us to be open to change. She never would have thought the life she got was the life she would have; basically, life can surprise you. 

Anna

Since her title is Princess Anna, she is recognized as an official Disney princess to my knowledge. She taught me to never trust people you have just met, and definitely do not get engaged to them on the first date. With that, listen to your loved ones about big life decisions. She reminded me of the power of sisterhood and how strong that bond can be. And lastly, love will thaw a frozen heart.

Mulan

Mulan is an absolute badass and a literal warrior. Her bravery, strength, and dedication to achieving her goals is nothing short of inspiring. She taught me that women can do anything men can, maybe even better than men can actually. Family is everything and bringing pride to your family is a great honor. She teaches me to defy the odds, embrace who you are, and never give up.

Pocahontas

Pocahontas is a really inspiring character especially because she is based off of a real person. She is very strong, adventurous, and full of wisdom at such a young age. She sees the beauty in all nature and people. She teaches John Smith how to respect her people and their land and teaches all of us to respect everyone and everything at the same time. She taught me to stand up for what I believe in and listen with my heart. You must choose the path that you believe is best for you no matter what.

Merida

Merida is most obviously brave, but she is also free-spirited, tough, and loyal. Having not been happy with her pre-set fate, she decides to change it. I see a lot of myself in Merida’s character- and not just because we rock the same voluminous curly hair. We share the desire to be independent and to stand up for what we believe in. She also taught me the importance of family bonds, and how crucial they are to have in your life. 

Jasmine

And here is the other of my top two Disney movies of all time. Princess Jasmine may not get the glory of self-titled movie, but she is still a beloved original Disney princess. She knew she was capable of ruling Agrabah and refused to marry a random prince to do it for her, and definitely not one she did not love. That’s another big lesson, you deserve to be with someone you love. Jasmine is adventurous, strong, and compassionate- all qualities we would be lucky to have. Her love for her kingdom, for Rajah, for her father, and for the good of the kingdom are so admirable. Jasmine taught me to choose my own destiny and that I am not a prize to be won.

Although these movies are works of Walt Disney and Co. and the stories of these Disney princesses are fabricated, we should reflect on what these amazing women have taught us. They were our first role models, our first heroines, and for a lot of us, our first dress-up costumes.

So next time you rewatch one of these movies on Disney+, think about how much these princesses have taught you about yourself, about others, and about life decisions.  

Mia Sansanelli

Sacred Heart '23

Sports Communication and Media Major Journalism and Sport Management Minors Women's Soccer Player Sacred Heart University '23
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)