This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

This is the question I’ve been asking myself since March, when the country transformed into an alternate realm of abnormality and discomfort. Yes this pandemic is extremely serious and life threatening, but what do we wear? We’re not going out as often. We’re taking online classes and spending hours upon hours in our rooms. We’re not traveling or going on adventures like we used to. So what’s the point in buying the overpriced patchwork jeans in style when the clothes we live in are mostly loungewear? In my mind, I call changing out of my pjs and into a similar outfit (which is most often a more put together sweatpants and hoodie combo) “elevated loungewear”. It makes me feel better about wearing the same type of clothes everyday – with NO SHAME! I know what you’re thinking …

But I have a shopping problem and I can’t seem to stop adding clothes to my cart that I probably won’t even wear anytime soon.

Four people holding each other in shades of purple
Photo by Vonecia Carswell from Unsplash
If this is you, then I have exciting news! You CAN buy those jeans you’ve been constantly revisiting. You CAN continue to feed your shopping addiction, even when you might only be wearing these new clothes to the grocery store. We’re allowed to look great and feel great, no matter what the circumstances are; so let’s explore a cheaper and more sustainable way to shop. My personal favorite way to shop, and more budget friendly, is thrifting! If you’re on Tiktok or Instagram (or literally just don’t live under a rock), then you know what this is. Thrifting is evolutionary and what Gen Z is most proud of, possibly because it’s the only way we can afford to buy new clothes, but also because it helps us save our beautiful planet from further destruction. Not only does thrifting give me an exhilarating feeling of not knowing what I’m going to find, but the whole experience is a blast! I remember one time I went to Plato’s Closet with one of my friend’s and almost fought her over a vintage Harley Davidson tee that cost, can you guess … $4 DOLLARS! Be careful when bringing friends to thrift because if they find the good finds before you, the teeth come out. Yes, shopping is that serious. During this pandemic, I’ve been doing a ton of online thrifting on apps like ThredUp and Depop, but there are so many platforms out there full of clothes that are calling your name. Odds are that those jeans you’ve been longing for are on a secondhand app or website for, get this, more than HALF OFF! Who could resist a bargain!

Young woman looking at different racks of clothes at a store.
Photo by StockSnap from Pixabay

My advice: ditch the dust covered heels in your closet and go for something on the comfier side. Dress up sweatpants with a baby tee and some layered necklaces. Pair your favorite black leggings with an oversized sweatshirt and some Docs. But most importantly, wear what you want! If you want to stay in your pjs all day, do it! I definitely have done this more times than I can count in the past 7 months. No one can tell you what you should be wearing, regardless of a pandemic or a huge blowout snowstorm. Dress to impress yourself, and ignore anyone who thinks they have an opinion on what clothes are to be worn on your body. Be your own style icon and don’t be afraid to stand out amongst the Birkenstock and Lululemon lovers. Originality is rad, so don’t be anxious to experiment with some fun patterns and vintage pieces this fall! Channel your inner trendsetter and carry the crowd!

13 going on 30 gif
Giphy

Hailey Pinto

Sacred Heart '24

I'm Hailey and I'm currently a freshman double majoring in management and fashion marketing/merchandising! I have a passion for writing, watch way too much Netflix, and can't live without iced coffee. I'm so excited to be a part of Sacred Heart's chapter!
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)