food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

underrated fall movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

It’s the beginning of fall which means it’s the beginning of my favorite season. It’s starting to get cold out, the Halloween decorations are coming out, and fall movies and popcorn are my current aesthetic. When I say “fall movies,” I’m sure everyone thinks of the same ones; Hocus Pocus, Scream, Halloweentown, and other basic fall/Halloween movies. I want to promote some of my favorite fall-time movies that might not be Halloween related but have that crisp weather and comfy clothes vibe.

Dead Poet Society

A new English teacher, Mr. Keating is hired at a strict all-boys prep school and inspires his class to seize the day and be spontaneous. The cast of this film is incredible and you fall in love with the boys instantly. This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and the autumn foliage and nostalgia of starting a new school year feels very fall. Be prepared to cry, though LOL. 

Knives Out

A whodunit mystery with a star studded cast set in Massachusetts. This movie is a rollercoaster ride that takes place in a vintage looking mansion and takes place in the fall time based on the outfits and foliage. The excitement of the murder mystery and the music is perfect for the fall season. (Plus Chris Evans is always a win). 

Fantastic Mr. Fox

This stop motion movie follows Mr. Fox, a father and husband who finds himself wanting more adventure than the domestic life with his wife. This adventure leads to a dangerous battle between himself and three cruel farmers. Fantastic Mr. Fox is worth a watch due to cinematography and score. Both of these work together to create a whimsical effect and the warm color grading offers a cozy, fall vibe.

Good Will Hunting

Another Robin Williams film featuring Matt Damon as Will Hunting, a genius who works as a janitor at MIT and is discovered by a professor when he solves a difficult math problem. This movie is extremely emotional, both happy and sad, and takes place in the fall. This is a wholesome movie that makes the viewer root for Will as he is forced to visit a therapist, Robin William’s character, to help him find his identity. 

There may be more fall movies that I’m missing, but these are a few that I rewatch most often. I hope you give these movies a try this fall, whether or not you have seen them before or if maybe you haven’t rewatched in a while.

Ally Peto

Sacred Heart '23

Hey I'm Ally! I'm a communications major from MA and I love watching movies and eating pancakes :)