Underrated Christmas Movies You Should Give A Chance This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

If you’re like me, you look forward to the 25 Days of Christmas, and catch up on all the classics such as Elf, Rudolph, Home Alone, Frosty. Etc… However, there are a few other classics that people usually don’t know about or are overlooked:

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is such a great movie! It stars SNL alum and original cast member, Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold. Clark is a typical American husband and dad who is just trying to give his family a memorable Christmas, but literally everything he tries to do goes wrong. This movie is hilarious and something every family can relate to. My dad and I watch it together every year. I am always surprised by how many people have never heard of or seen it.

Merry Christmas Drake and Josh

One of my other favorites is Merry Christmas Drake & Josh. I look forward to the rerun of this every year because Drake & Josh was/is one of my favorite childhood shows. This movie is a good laugh and reminder of our childhood. Even though we may be more mature, some parts are still funny and memorable. It does a great job of spreading Christmas cheer with a touch of our past.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Personally, I think Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is the best Home Alone movie. Most people recognize the first one and that one gets the most attention. However, I think this is a rare case when the sequel is better than the original. It has all the characters and dynamic that we loved in the first, but it’s bigger and better! It takes place in New York City at Christmas time (do I have to say anymore?). Kevin upgrades from being alone in his house to the Plaza Hotel which is just goals. Plus, since he is not in his familiar surroundings, and his tricks and stunts are more creative. So, even if you’re one of those people who always thinks that nothing can top an original, give this sequel a chance. It won’t let you down, ya filthy animal.

Fred Claus

Fred Claus is another great, but overlooked Christmas movie. Vince Vaughn plays Santa Claus’ brother, Fred. The movie gives us a look into the interesting dynamic of their family. It is entertaining to watch a human being thrown into life in the North Pole. Another funny thing about this movie is that Fred and the elves help each other in their love lives. According to Ludacris’ character “you Scrooge, you loose.” So don’t be a Scrooge, and check out this movie!

Four Christmases

Speaking of Vince Vaughn, another great movie is Four Christmases, starring himself and one of my favorite actresses, Reese Witherspoon. This movie is a rom-com about a couple who usually goes away every Christmas and just keeps to themselves. The two are still just boyfriend and girlfriend because their parents’ insane relationships made them fear commitment, and did not want the same thing to happen to themselves, so they never got married. However, this year, their flight to their tropical vacation gets canceled due to weather so they have no other option but to spend it with each of their crazy parents. This movie is filled with a lot of laughs and loved. There are so many different types of characters and families that everyone can find something to relate to.

That being said, I hope you enjoy your holidays with your favorite Christmas movies. May add a few of these to your watch list this year? 

Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.