Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

The Top 5 Most Memorable Grammys 2021 Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Every year we tune in to the Grammys to watch our favorite celebs come together, show off their red carpet looks, perform and earn their well-deserved glossy Grammys. Although the show this year might have felt a little different with challenges like holding the event outdoors because of social distancing, it was still a magical night to remember. It was heartwarming to see artists be able to safely come together and shine as they should. Here are the top 5 most memorable Grammys 2021 moments to remember. 

#1: The Surprise Appearance From Beyoncé

Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS
The Carters made a surprise appearance at the 2021 Grammys despite prior speculation that the couple would sit out this ceremony, as they skipped the last two Grammys ceremonies. Queen Bey led the field with a total of nine nominations and received her 28th Grammy of her career which broke the record for the most Grammys ever won by a female artist and singer male or female, ever. Beyoncé took home the title for Best R&B Performance for her song “Black Parade” from the 2020 Lion King Soundtrack and her daughter Blue Ivy who appeared on “Black Parade” was awarded a Grammy as well. Beyoncé also took home Best Rap Performance with Megan Thee Stallion with their song “Savage”. Megan and Beyoncé glowed as they accepted their well-earned award together. The most memorable moment of their time together on stage was when Megan looked at Beyoncé and said “I definitely want to say thank you to Beyoncé. If you know me, you have to know that ever since I was little, I was like… ‘One day I’m going to grow up and be like the rap Beyoncé.'”

#2: Harry Styles’ Hot Performance of “Watermelon Sugar” 

Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS
Harry’s first-ever Grammys performance was too hot to handle. He took home the award for Best Pop Solo Performance for “Watermelon Sugar”. Styles looked stunning in his Gucci black leather jacket and matching pants as he topped off his look with a green boa scarf which many fans pointed out that in his X Factor audition he wore a green scarf as well. As an artist, he has truly come so far in his career which was so touching to see.  

#3: Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak Channel Their Inner 70’s 

Microphone on stage
Bruno Cervera
Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak have joined forces for new band Silk Sonic, with a retro-vibed silky and slow sound. The two smooth-sounding musical geniuses channeled their seventies R&B vocals and polished dance moves as they performed their new hit “Leave the Door Open”. Mars and Paak radiated on stage with their three-part harmonies, gliding moves, matching suits, and immaculate footwork. Both artists vocals complemented one another so perfectly as the pair traded verses and harmonized alongside their background band. 

#4: Megan Thee Stallion Wins Best New Artist 

B&W picture of a drummer
Photo by Adi Goldstein from Unsplash
The Houston rapper Megan Thee Stallion won Best New Artist presented by her gal pal Lizzo. After Lizzo announced that Megan had won, Megan froze in her seat as she then proceeded to the stage where she froze again. She composed herself as she was holding back her tears and humbly recognized her peers in the category, as she stated “I don’t wan’t to cry, it’s been a hell of a year, but we made it”. She became the first female rapper to be named best new artist since Lauryn Hill in 1999. Megan looked stunning in an orange gown with a touch of glistening diamonds. 

#5: Lil Baby Incorporates Black Lives Matter 

woman in blue denim jacket holding white and black happy birthday
Photo by Max Bender from Unsplash
In Lil Baby’s performance of his hit single “The Bigger Picture”, he used his platform to touch upon the protests that shook our nation last summer in support of the Black Lives Matter Movement. The Grammys and Lil Baby made an effort to use their time on-air as millions tuned in, to address the continuing diversity issues America is facing. At one point during the performance activist Tamika Mallory called on President Biden to commit to solving racial justice. During a night full of awards and red carpets, Lil Baby decided to bring a more socially conscious vision to the event.

Kate Bajohr

Sacred Heart '24

Kate Bajohr is a student at Sacred Heart University majoring in Communications with a focus in Advertising and Public Relations along with a minior in Business. She is from Cheshire Connecticut and has a passion for writing, marketing, traveling, working and volunteering.
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)