This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

As a senior in college, my friends and I have been lucky enough to get the opportunity to rent a house together for our last year. Here are some things in my bedroom that make me smile. 

1. MY XL LAVA LAMP

Best $50 bucks I ever spent. This almost 2-and-a-half-foot tall lava lamp is hands down the coolest thing about my whole room. The dope purple and pink lighting brings so much to the space and is the best addition to my mirror selfies.  

1. MY 7 STUFFED ANIMALS

Nicole Sung

These fellas are the best; nothing makes a new bedroom feel homey like some stuffed animal friends. And I am a firm believer that you’re never too old to have them!

1. MY CROOKED DRESSER HANDLES 

house plants on dresser
Photo by Prudence Earl from Unsplash

When I ordered new drawer handles for my dresser, I forgot to measure the size. So naturally, they all don’t fit right. Watching TV and seeing all the handles going in different directions always makes me laugh at myself; I wouldn’t trade them for the world. :P

1. MY PALLET BED

white pillows and white bedding
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

This was the biggest money save and a really fun project for our quarantine summer. I got 4 free wooden pallets from my local floral shop and DIYed them into a nice white pallet bed for my mattress. All I had to buy was a cleaning brush and some spray paint and I had myself a brand new bed!

1. MY WALL HANGING  

Above my bed, I have a wall hanging of Salvador Dali’s painting “Floradali” and it is absolutely awesome. It doesn’t make my low bed look too grounded, and really brings cohesion to the whole room. 

1. MY BLACKOUT CURTAINS 

plant in window
Photo by Eduard Militaru from Stocksnap

GAME. CHANGER. Put some cute gray blackout curtains in your room and you will have no trouble sleeping in on the weekends. Trust me. 

1. MY EMPTY CANDLES 

Noelle Australia
Noelle Australia / Unsplash

As someone who is in love with candles, I go through new ones relatively quickly. My collection of new and old have grown throughout my room: on my dresser, my desk, and even my windowsill. They all make me happy, even if some can’t be lit anymore. 

1. MY PHOTO NOOK

After living in my college bedroom for almost 5 months, I decided to add some photos onto the wall of my corner nook. It adds more dimension and things to look at with my little chair in the corner. 

1. MY DEAD PLANT

white and rose gold bedside table lamp next to bed with plant
Photo by Burst from Pexels

While I love the look pf plants, I can admit that I suck at keeping them alive so I have never bought one. However, my roommate gave me some olive and eucalyptus branches’ that she found. So from then on, I’ve had them in a vase to add some nature to my space (even if they’re dead). 

One of the best parts of growing up and living in new places is the chance to decorate and make it your own. This room makes me smile every day because it feels like home, and feels like me. 

Devin Gavigan

Sacred Heart '21

Hi, my name is Devin Gavigan and I am an English and Communications major with an Advertising and PR concentration at Sacred Heart University. I have always had a passion for writing and everything creatively stimulating. I hope you enjoy my articles!
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)