Things I’ve Learned my Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

No matter where someone goes for college, it is going to be an adjustment. You are leaving the life you know for something completely brand new.

Leading up to this major adjustment, many incoming freshman, like myself, will have unrealistic expectations about what college is really like. One of biggest causes of this is social media. Looking at social media can make us feel like our college experience isn’t going as well as our friends from high schools.

I feel like I never knew the real truth about college until I lived it myself. No one told me how hard freshman year really was until I was living it. I never thought even by second semester I wouldn’t be sure who my real friends are, I figured id have a solid group right away. I’ve learned college can be great, but also a real slap in the face.

Through having friend problems, suffering grades, missing home, etc., learning to deal with it all head on will mature you. I’ve learned to expect the unexpected, and to be ready to be alone and face difficulties.

Come into college hoping for the best, but in a way have your guard up. People are going to be fake nice just to get friends, and the people you talked to first semester, may not be there for you second semester. It may be hard to have any hope when you are crying in your dorm alone, but just believe it will get better.

Lindsey Rosania

Sacred Heart '22

Hey guys! My name is Lindsey and I am currently a sophomore at SHU. I love to write creatively and appreciate Her Campus for giving me and other girls the opportunity to do so!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.