This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Okay ladies, it’s officially Spooky Season, aka the best time of the year. If you’re struggling with date night ideas now that the sun is setting earlier and the temperatures are rapidly dropping, you’ve come to the right place. Fall is the perfect opportunity for some themed date nights!

1. Pumpkin Carving 

Perfect for a rainy day, pumpkin carving is an all hands on deck kind of activity. Grab a pumpkin or two (from a pumpkin patch or the grocery store) and get to carving! And if you’re sick of a plain old Jack O’lantern, an awesome perk of buying from the grocery store is they usually include a whole display of pumpkin carving tools and designs, so you can upgrade your carving game. 

1. Apple Picking / Pumpkin Patch

If you’ve managed to secure one of the last warmer days of the year, go to an apple orchard or a pumpkin patch! These are filled with a whole plethora of activities, sometimes tractor rides and cider tasting, or can be a cute place for pictures. Plus, an added bonus, take home some apples or pumpkins and turn them into a delish dessert (hello two-for-one date night!) 

1. Paint by Numbers (fall-themed)

Okay, I’ll admit it, this might just be a personal obsession, but I have been loving Paint by Numbers this fall! Check out the options in your local craft store and opt for a fall-themed image – maybe a tree-scape or a farm skyline? – and get to painting. Kits usually come with multiple brushes so the two of you can work at the same time!

1. Scary Movie Marathon

The level of scary is up to your discretion, but Halloween has an endless stack of movies to binge for your next date night. From the Conjuring series, to Casper the Friendly Ghost, and everything in-between, there’s sure to be a movie that you guys will enjoy. 

*Pro-Tip: Start a saga and you’ll have movie date nights to last you the whole month!

1. Haunted Hayride or Haunted House

As Halloween gets closer, the haunted attractions only get better. Try a town haunted hayride, or if you’re a thrills-seeker, Six Flags is officially in Fright Fest season. Roller coasters, your bae, and a hundred actors paid to scare the pants off of you…what could be better? 

1. Fall Drinks Taste Test

Seasonal flavors may have dropped months ago, but that doesn’t mean your DIY version is out of style. A fall drinks taste test is the perfect collaboration date with an even better reward: yummy drinks! Maybe try an apple martini or a pumpkin spice themed drink and get in the spooky season mood!

Erin Dunn

Sacred Heart '25

Hi guys! I'm Erin Dunn from South Windsor, Connecticut and I'm a Communications major at Sacred Heart University. I love baking and using writing to express myself and I'm so excited to be apart of Her Campus!