A Taylor Swift Song for Every Mood

After my best friend and I just spent over two and a half hours in the virtual presale line for Taylor Swift’s Lover Fest East show next summer, I wanted to to celebrate the occasion of getting a ticket to what is going to be one of the hottest shows in concert history (she is only doing 4 shows in America, two cities). Taylor Swift has been my favorite artist and a huge role model in my life since I was 7 years old. I have grown up on her music and it has been my source of both therapy and bops for years. So, in honor and celebration of that, here is a list of a Taylor Swift song for every mood. 

When You’re in Your Feels…. All Too Well 

“Cause there we are again, when I loved you so, Back before you lost the one real thing you've ever known, It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well”

Okay, this is in my top two favorite Taylor songs of all time (a question that is very hard for me to answer). I just love how the lyrics of the song are so filled with so much honesty, emotion, and vulnerability. It hits you right in the heart. A lot of people make the argument it’s the best song of hers as a songwriter. I think I might have to agree, this song just hits differently. 

When you have a crush on someone… Enchanted

“Please don't be in love with someone else Please don't have somebody waiting on you, Please don't be in love with someone else, Please don't have somebody waiting on you, This night is sparkling, don't you let it go, I'm wonder struck, blushing all the way home, I'll spend forever wondering if you knew, This night is flawless, don't you let it go, I'm wonder struck, dancing around all alone, I'll spend forever wondering if you knew, I was enchanted to meet you”

You guessed it, this is the other song in my top 2. In my humble opinion, this is one of the prettiest songs of all time. Taylor did name her perfume “Wonderstruck” after the lyrics of this song after all. This song tells the story of meeting your prince charming and having your fingers crossed so tightly that he does not already have a princess of his own. We have all been here. I have listened to this song many times when I had a crush on someone, it described how I felt so accurately. 

When you just want to belt out a song word for word… You Belong With Me

“But she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts, She's cheer captain, And I'm on the bleachers, Dreaming about the day when you wake up, And find that what you're looking for has been here the whole time, If you can see I'm the one who understands you, Been here all along so why can't you see, You belong with me” 

I’m not going to lie, this is my go-to choice for a karaoke song. It’s a classic and fan-favorite that everyone knows the lyrics to. The catchy rhyming make it very hard to not sing along to. 

When you want to jump around and toss your head/hair around… Story of Us

“But you held your pride like you should have held me, Oh, I'm scared to see the ending, Why are we pretending this is nothing?, I'd tell you I miss you but I don't know how, I've never heard silence quite this loud”

Twelve Year Old Me was LIVING at the Speak Now Tour in 2011, when the guitar solo during this song started and Taylor yelled, “JUMP JUMP JUMP!” The beat of this song is so fast and fun to jump and around and whip your hair around to. 

This one’s a given but, When you’re in love… Lover

“Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand?, With every guitar string scar on my hand, I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover, My heart's been borrowed and yours has been blue, All's well that ends well to end up with you, Swear to be overdramatic and true to my lover, And you'll save all your dirtiest jokes for me, And at every table, I'll save you a seat, lover”

Taylor performed this song on SNL recently and her performance honestly gave me chills. This song is so chill and mellow but truly shows off how much of a raw and natural talent she is, as both a musician and a songwriter. Also, it has gotten the liking of a lot of her fellow celebrities. Keith Urban and Adam Sandler with his daughters (yes, you read that second one correctly) have all performed covers of it. This song and the lyrics are so sweet and romantic. A lot of people have been saying it is Taylor’s most intimate and personal song to date.  With this song, it can feel like Valentine’s Day any day of the year. 

Two Other Songs that are also a given mood or feeling and don’t need an explanation:

• 22“I don’t know about you but I’m feeling twenty-two”

• Fearless“I don’t know why but with you, I’d dance, in a storm in my best dress, fearless” 

When you’re angry… Better Than Revenge (Bad Blood, Look What You Made Me Do, Picture to Burn, and Should Have Said No were all honorable mentions for this one too) 

“She's not a saint and she's not what you think, She's an actress, whoa, She's better known for the things that she does, On the mattress, whoa, Soon she's gonna find, Stealing other people's toys on the playground, Won't make you many friends, She should keep in mind, She should keep in mind, There is nothing I do better than revenge, ha, I'm just another thing for you to roll your eyes at honey, You might have him, but haven't you heard, I'm just another thing for you to roll your eyes at honey, You might have him, but I'll always get the last word”

I bet a lot of people were expecting Bad Blood for this one. However, as one of her biggest and most loyal fans, I can make this list based on deep cuts and not just of the singles. Better Than Revenge is a song filled with anger, emotion, and well, the want for revenge after having your man stolen. It includes all that with fire beats and instruments! Therefore, it is the perfect tune to let go and release any anger or stress you may have. 

When you need a good beat to work out to… Ready for It

“I-I-I see how this is gon' go, Touch me and you'll never be alone, I-Island breeze, and lights down low, No one has to know, In the middle of the night, in my dreams, You should see the things we do, baby, In the middle of the night, in my dreams, I know I'm gonna be with you, So I take my time, Are you ready for it?”

This song is super intense and powerful. It has a lot of build ups and beat drops that can be paired with any cardio or strength workouts to make you ~ready for it~. 

When you’re feeling yourself and owning it… Style

“You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye, And I got that red lip, classic thing that you like, And when we go crashing down, we come back every time, 'Cause we never go out of style, we never go out of style, You've got that long hair slick back, white t-shirt, And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt, And when we go crashing down, we come back every time, 'Cause we never go out of style, we never go out of style”

Everyone has their signature to their look. Taylor gives a nod to her signature iconic red lip in this song. Do you have those days when you pick out a killer outfit you absolutely love and you feel a wave of confidence and self-love? You should definitely play this song during those times and remind yourself that you never go out of style. Plus, this is a fun song to sing and dance around to, in any outfit. 

When You Regret Something… I Knew You Were Trouble

“Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in, So shame on me now, Flew me to places I'd never been, So you put me down oh, I knew you were trouble when you walked in, So shame on me now, Flew me to places I'd never been, Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground, Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble, Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble”

Have you ever sent a text you regret the next day or dated someone that once you break up, you’re like, “Why did I waste so much of my time with him/her?” It’s okay, we’ve all been there. Even, Ms. Taylor Swift has. We’ve all had a person or thing in our life that we may have known could have been caused trouble in our lives but still went for it anyway and then, later on, wish we could erase and burn it from our memory. Unfortunately, we can’t erase or burn it from our memories :/ However, Fortunately, we have a killer song to jam out and relate to every time we start to feel this regret. 

When you just want to let loose and dance… Shake It Off

“I'll never miss a beat, I'm lightning on my feet, And that's what they don't see mmm mmm, that's what they don't see mmm mmm, I'm dancing on my own (dancing on my own), I'll make the moves up as I go (moves up as I go)

And that's what they don't know mmm mmm, that's what they don't know mmm mmm, But I keep cruising, can't stop, won't stop grooving, It's like I got this music in my mind saying it's gonna be alright”

I would argue that this is one of the most fun and catchy songs out there. The beat, lyrics, and just overall vibe of this song is just super fun and just gives off the attitude to let go and have a good time. This is one song where you can actually dance away your troubles to, or in other words, shake them off.

When you need to let out a good cry… Teardrops on My Guitar

“So I'll drive home alone, As I turn out the light, I'll put his picture down, And maybe get some sleep tonight, He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar, The only one who's got enough of me to break my heart, He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do”

We’ve all been through heartbreak, a loss of some sort, or some experience that makes our eyes well up whenever we think about it. This song is a perfect example of that. No offence to Fergie, but I think it’s okay for big girls, boys, and whoever else to let out a good cry whenever we need to every now and then. 

When you feel like you’ve learned a lesson and have grown from it… Fifteen

“Cause when you're fifteen, Somebody tells you they love you, You're gonna believe them, And when you're fifteen, Don't forget to look before you fall, I've found time can heal most anything, And you just might find who you're supposed to be, I didn't know who I was supposed to be, At fifteen”

I personally have always found this the most relatable song of Taylor’s. Now, every time I listen to it, I think to myself, “I should have listened to Taylor.” Taylor speaks the harsh but honest truth that not every first kiss, first boyfriend, first date, and whatever else may not be what Troy Bolton and all our other childhood crushes raised our expectations to be. I also think this song serves as a great piece of advice and a pep-talk to young girls entering high school. I will 

When you’re feeling a bit rebellious… Get Away Car

"You were drivin', The getaway car, We were flyin', But we'd never get far, Don't pretend it's such a mystery, Think about the place where you first met me, We're ridin', In a getaway car, There were sirens, In the beat of your heart, Should've known I'd be the first to leave, Think about the place where you first met me, In a getaway car, oh-oh, No, they never get far, oh-oh-ahh, No, nothing good starts, In a getaway car"

This song tells a fun story about a couple being rebellious and driving off in a getaway car. It reminds us that it’s okay and can be fun to take risks and live life on the edge every once in a while. As this song suggest, it can provide great memories and stories. 

When you’re thankful for your friends and the people in your life… New Romantics

“And every day is like a battle, But every night with us is like a dream, Baby, we're the new romantics, Come on, come along with me, Heartbreak is the national anthem, We sing it proudly, We are too busy dancing, To get knocked off our feet, Baby, we're the new romantics, The best people in life are free”

I love this song. It is so upbeat and all about learning lessons and living life with your squad. It is totally relatable and also has a beat perfectly applicable for dancing. It’s definitely something you and your besties can add to your playlist at your next hangout or pregame.

When you just want a reason to sing loud and PROUD… You Need To Calm Down

“And I ain't tryna mess with your self-expression, But I've learned a lesson that stressin' and obsessin' 'bout somebody else is no fun, And snakes and stones never broke my bones, So oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, You need to calm down, you're being too loud, And I'm just like oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh (oh), You need to just stop, Like can you just not step on my gown?, You need to calm down” 

This song is so powerful in many aspects. It has a really cool beat with too many catchy and irresistible to join in on “oh-oh”s to count. Aside from the music of it, the lyrics convey advocacy for an important and needed change in our politics. So all and all, this song is a win-win!

When you’re in a Taylor Swift mood… Love Story

“Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone, I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run, You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess, t's a love story baby just say ‘Yes’”

This song is ESSENTIAL T-Swift. It has all of her signature elements: storytelling, clever songwriting and rhyming, a catchy beat, and a killer music video. This song is a classic and one everyone knows. I can guarantee you when someone thinks of Taylor Swift, this song comes to mind. It’s the only song that has managed to make it to the setlist of every single tour Taylor has been on. No matter what era she is in, this song never gets old. This song is as Taylor Swift as it gets!