Study Abroad Guide to London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Studying abroad is an incredible opportunity to take advantage of during your college career. Chances are, once you graduate, you won’t be able to pack up and travel the world for a full four months while trying to keep a full time job. Studying abroad allows you to fully immerse yourself in a new culture and surround yourself with students you wouldn’t have normally met – from all around the world! By taking this major step outside of your comfort zone you will get a chance to learn incredible things about the world around us, and you might even learn a few things about yourself.

London is the perfect place to study abroad if you’re nervous about taking a big step outside of your comfort zone. Since you wont be tackling a new language or too many cultural changes, London is an easier transition than other common spots. Its British charm is hard not to fall in love with, making it almost impossible to leave once your semester ends. To say that London lived up to my high expectations would be an understatement. Not only did my study abroad experience change my worldview, but also my growth as a person. The simplicity of traveling throughout Europe and experiencing parts of the world I never imagined I would enriched both my education and my understanding of just how big our world really is. I was surrounded by unique individuals from all walks of life and from all over the world who showed me that no matter where you are from, we are not so different after all.

Here are some little unknown places you absolutely have to experience if you are, or are interested in, studying abroad in London:

1. Regents Park- Primrose Hill

Anyone who has listened to me rave about my time in London knows that my #1 tip is to talk a walk through Regents Park. This royal park quickly became my favorite place in London, and was perfect for daily walks with new friends. Along with its many beautiful gardens inspired by the royal family, this park is also decorated with various artistic sculptures and a quaint zoo. However, the best part about this park is Primrose Hill- providing a breathtaking view of the London skyline, making it the perfect place to watch the sunset.

2. Camden Market

This open-air market is another can’t miss destination, and will likely become your favorite weekend spot. Camden Market is home to hundreds of hipster shops, and unique market stands to fill your suitcase with London memorabilia. The highlight of the area is the food markets, featuring an amazing arrangement of stands all with authentic meals and treats from all around the world.

3. Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus

These two infamous shopping spots are basically two versions of the London “Times Square”. Not only will you spend all your savings on the incredible shops, but all the lights make for a very cool scene at night.

4. Carnaby Street

This photogenic street is another shopping spot in Soho, but since it’s typically decorated for the holidays, it’s a great place to take artsy pictures. Not too far from Oxford Circus, it’s also home to some of the best restaurants in London.

5. The O2

You can’t come to London without experiencing one of their legendary music acts. There’s something for every music fan, making it a perfect place to immerse yourself in some modern British music culture.

6. O’Neil’s

If you’re looking to go to an authentic pub and possibly surround yourself with some very cute British boys, O’Neil’s is definitely the place to go. This hole-in-the-wall pub has cheap drinks and live music, making it the perfect Friday night spot.

7. Nandos

Two words- peri-peri sauces.

8. Tate Modern

If you’re looking for a more modern take on the typical London art museum tour, the Tate Modern is home to some of the most unique art exhibits worldwide. This spot is definitely worth dedicating a day to. Plus, its convenient placing near the Millennium Bridge and Shakespeare’s Globe makes it an easy stop on your tourist excursions.

9. Afternoon Tea

You’re not a true Brit until you’ve had your first afternoon tea experience. London is full of great tea spots, some more casual (and less expensive) than others. Insider tip- the best spots also serve champagne with your tea and biscuits.

10. The Tube

The best place to visit in London is wherever the Tube takes you. This is the perfect way to immerse yourself in the city and step outside of your comfort zone. Load up your Oyster card and get a little lost in the British culture, you’ll be amazed what you’ll find in corners of London you didn’t know existed.

Laura Lampert

Sacred Heart

Laura is a Communications Studies major with a concentration in Digital Marketing/PR.  Campus Correspondent at Sacred Heart, overly-involved, and always five minutes late with an iced coffee.