Kristen Bryant-Girl Lounging Relax Logo 2
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Stress-less Finals

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

College is a time to have fun and discover yourself but one thing that is not mentioned enough is how to manage the stress on this journey. It is important for students to have knowledge on how to work through the tougher times of the semester otherwise it may lead to a burnout. Once a person hits the point of burnout it can be hard to come back from making a person feel that there is no other option then to give up. 

One method that can be extremely helpful when trying to handle stress is to plan in advance. Keeping a calendar on hand, and making sure to have an idea of when each assignment is due can help a person plan in advance when they have to get their work done. If a person does not keep track of their assignments they can end up falling behind or having to do multiple assignments in one night. 

Another important thing to keep in mind is to have at least one day a week where a person can take time to themselves. This can include a person doing something they enjoy, or even just staying in and taking time to just work on themselves. Mental health days are important to keep a person in a state of well being. There are numerous cases where a person does not take time to relax and end up overwhelming themselves. 

Becoming stressed out in school is a completely normal thing to go through. It is important to talk about your feelings to others, and ask for help when it is needed. Everyone around you has gone through stressful times so they will understand how you are feeling at that time too. During the times that are tougher therapy and counseling is always an option. Just speaking about your issues and ranting can help take some of the stress of a person. If a person is not comfortable with this journaling is also always an option. Journaling provides a person with a way to let out some of their feelings without actually having to confide in anyone.

Julia Sze

Sacred Heart '02

I am a third year student psychology major, with a criminal justice minor at Sacred Heart University. I have been dancing since I was four years old, and am currently still dancing on the dance ensemble at SHU. After this year I plan on attending graduate school and getting my masters in clinical mental health.