Standing With Kesha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Back in October of 2014, singer Kesha Rose Sebert sued her producer, Lukasz Gottwald, known as Dr. Luke, for sexual assault.

According to the civil lawsuit, “For the past ten years, Dr. Luke has sexually, physically, verbally, and emotionally abused Ms. Sebert to the point where Ms. Sebert nearly lost her life. Dr. Luke abused Ms. Sebert in order to destroy her self-confidence, self-image, and self-worth so that he could maintain complete control over her life and career.”

Another claim stated that Dr. Luke told Kesha if she spoke to anyone about what happened, he would destroy her and her family’s lives.

Dr. Luke denied all claims and charges he was accused of and responded with a countersuit against Kesha, her mother, and her new management. Dr. Luke’s lawyers argued that Kesha’s claims did not happen and that they were fabricated, just so that she could get out of her existing contract with both Dr. Luke and Sony.

“I know people are questioning whether or not she’s making false accusations to get out of her Sony contract, but I feel like since the whole situation is so severe, she couldn’t possibly be making it up,” said sophomore Samantha Mays.

From the lawsuit, Kesha wished to be freed from her alleged abuser and to be allowed to record new music independently, since she is reportedly required to complete six more albums for Dr. Luke’s label, Kemosabe Records.

During the case trial on Feb. 19, Kesha’s preliminary injunction was denied by a New York Supreme Court judge. It was decided that Kesha was not allowed to walk away from her current contract deal, resulting in Kesha breaking down in the courtroom.

Students at Sacred Heart University were not pleased with the judge’s decision.

“I think the Kesha situation is absolutely crazy. The judge who ruled against her shouldn’t be a judge and the producer should obviously be put behind bars,” said sophomore Baylee Kelly.

More students claim that the judge’s denial also affects Kesha’s musical creativity.

“I love Kesha and this whole ordeal is upsetting,” said sophomore Nicole Jablonski. “Music should be a process where it’s freedom of the artist, and to have someone’s freedom taken away deflates the creative process, making the artist unable to grow and advance in their music career.”

Throughout the course of this ongoing legal contest, numerous celebrities, such as Lady Gaga, Adele, Demi Lovato, Kelly Clarkson, and Ariana Grande, have publicly reached out and supported Kesha.

Additionally, both songwriter Jack Antonoff and electronic producer Zedd have offered their services to Kesha.

“Don’t know what the legal specifics are, but if you want to make something together and then leak it for everyone I’m around,” said Antonoff. “Or just make something and wait on it ’til that creep can’t block you anymore. Standing offer.”

Taylor Swift has also contributed to the situation by donating $250,000 to Kesha for any of her financial needs.

“I support Kesha and I’m happy people like Taylor Swift are helping her out by donating money toward Kesha’s legal bills,” said Mays.

During the 88th Annual Academy Awards, Vice President Joe Biden and Lady Gaga shared their strong stances against sexual abuse. Biden introduced Lady Gaga’s live performance of her song on sexual assault, “Til It Happens to You,” and urged others to take the pledge to “intervene in situations when consent has not or cannot be given.”

Kesha has been posting to her followers and supporters via Twitter and Instagram about her feelings on the situation. In a recent post on Instagram, she wrote how she’s not only speaking out for herself, but also for those who do not have the voice to come forward.

“I have nothing left to hide. I did this because the truth was eating away my soul and killing me from the inside. This is not just for me. This is for every woman, every human who has ever been abused. Sexually. Emotionally. Mentally. I had to tell the truth,” said Kesha.

Kesha’s ongoing case against Dr. Luke has influenced many people to publicly share their opinions on not only Kesha’s situation, but on occurrences of sexual assault as a whole.

“We need to bring more attention to serious matters like rape and assault in order to prevent them from recurring, even if we’re not affected by it firsthand,” said sophomore Samantha DiRosa. “It could happen to anyone.”

View Kesha’s civil lawsuit here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/242986445/Kesha-Complaint

Jordan Norkus

Sacred Heart

Jordan · Junior · Media Arts This one time I breathed the same air as Niall Horan
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.