Six Lessons My New York Friends Have Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Coming to SHU, I thought I’d be surrounded by other small town New Englanders. But hey, those were also the days I thought Sacred Heart was in the town of Fairfield so… you live and you learn. The fact is, if you aren’t from the Empire state, you’re in the minority. After some initial culture shock, these people have become some of my best friends. I consider my (unofficial) first class at Intro to New Yorker studies. After almost two years, I think I could be a professor in the subject. Or at least a CLA.

1. Bagels and Pizza are the best in New York.

I still haven’t tried either of these OG New York foods (yes this is an invitation for you to bring me these foods immediately, btw). Apparently, New York also has the best Chinese food, Italian food, doughnuts and tacos. So basically, New York has all of the best food.

2. New York is actually 3 states.

You didn’t learn that in elementary school? Here’s a mini geography lesson for you. New York is basically 3 states:  The City, Long Island and Upstate (which is basically Canada at that point).

3. Slow walkers are the bane of a New Yorker’s existence.

I feel you guys on this one. Nothing is more anxiety provoking than being so close but yet so far to your class when you’re already running 5 minutes late. And if someone stops in the middle of the hallway…it’s all over.

4. Driving is every man for himself.

I get it. You guys have places to go and people to see. It’s the Hunger Games and you’re Katniss. New Yorkers just interpret driving signals creatively. Red lights are yellow lights, stop signs are yield signs, and you always add at least 10 mph to the speed limit.  Driving with a New Yorker at the wheel has gotten me from point A to point B in record time.

5. Black clothes are the best clothes

It’s slimming. It’s classy. It matches everything. It satisfies the soul.

6. Transportation

When someone first told me they were taking a ferryboat to go home, I assumed the girl lived on something like Nim’s Island (if only). New Yorkers are used to a diversity of transportation. Besides literal boats, they take buses, subways, and trains (hello, polar express).

Overall I’m #blessed to have met all of my beautiful New York friends. Thanks for hanging out with a New Englander, even though I say wicked. Are we characters in Friends yet?

Lydia is a senior at Sacred Heart University and a sister of Chi Omega. She has accumulated hundreds of hours watching The Bachelor, and thousands discussing the show with friends and miscellaneous strangers.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.