Six “Don’ts” For This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Valentine’s Day is literally right around the corner (DON’T panic). It’s an awesome day for everyone – seriously! You don’t need to be in a relationship to have an amazing day. If you are single, taken, or in a complicated relationship, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Take the day to spoil yourself with whatever it may be: sweets, wine, and any other goodie that will warm your heart. Here are 6 things NOT to do this Valentine’s Day!

Don’t let this be you.

1. Don’t dwell on the fact that you don’t have a valentine.

If you’re single, embrace it! Being single is a wonderful thing. Be your own Valentine! Buy yourself whatever your little heart desires. Plus, there’s a 100% chance you’ll receive a Valentine’s Day care package from your number one lover: your mom. Though a gift from your mom may not be what you had in mind, who doesn’t love a free box of chocolates?

Chuck misbehaving again? No biggie. Blair Waldorf would totally make Valentine’s Day her b****.

2. Don’t have expectations.

We all know expectations only lead to letdowns. Too many girls are sad on Valentine’s Day because their S.O. didn’t plan something amazing or surprise them with the best gift in the world. Valentine’s Day isn’t just about gifts– it’s a day dedicated to appreciating those you love! No matter how you and your S.O. spend Valentine’s Day, you should focus on enjoying your time together. Focusing on the quality of the gift is totally superficial. 

Ok. We get it. This may not be your ideal Valentine’s Day date, but don’t let it bring down your mood! Try to stay positive…try really, really hard. 

3. Don’t take a bottle of wine to the face because you’re upset that you’re single

Okay, maybe a glass or two – but NOT the whole bottle. Save yourself the headache!

No, no, no. Just no.

4. Don’t complain about the day on social media.

It’s beyond annoying. Spread the love instead!

These tweets become excessive. We advise you stay away from Twitter this Saturday if you wish to avoid them.

5. Don’t forget to wish friends and family a ‘Happy Valentine’s Day’

Valentine’s Day isn’t strictly about boyfriends and girlfriends, so don’t forget to tell your friends and family how much you love them!

6. Don’t forget to love yourself!!!

Yes, Bruno!

Happy Valentine’s Day from Her Campus Sacred Heart!

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.