alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Single Girl’s Guide for a Not-So-Lonely Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

A single girl’s guide for a not-so-lonely Valentine’s Day

We’ve all been there. All of your friends are talking about what to get their boyfriends/girlfriends for Valentine’s Day and you’re just thinking about what you’re going to eat for dinner tonight. As sad as it sounds, it’s true, so don’t deny it. Well what if I told you that Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be another year where you sit in your room eating chocolate ice cream feeling sorry for yourself. Take your sexy self out on the town, enjoy a movie, or even throw an anti-valentine’s day party. Let’s be real, you know you’re not alone on this one. Here are some ideas to make this Valentine’s Day night that you won’t forget.

1. Have a night out on the town.

Grab some of your closest bachelorettes and go out for a night of good food and awesome drinks. If you can’t get it in, you might as well get wasted. If you’re too young to go bar hopping, go bowling. It sounds lame, but when was the last time you did it? Exactly. One SHU student is “going to GSTAR, then coming back and watching sappy love movies.” Sophomore Mallory Martilla is “going to a party with my closest friends.”

1. Go see a movie

There are some hot movies in theaters right now. Go out and have a good laugh with your closest friends to get your mind off things. Before you know it, you won’t even remember what day it is. Here is a list of some hit movies in theaters now:

• That Awkward Moment- Zac Efron, Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan

Here is a good comedy to give you some laughs and brighten your mood. In this R rated comedy, three best friends all find themselves where we’ve all been–at that confusing “moment” in every dating relationship when you have to decide “So…where is this going?” And plus…who doesn’t want to see Zac Efron on the big screen? I’d take him as my Valentine man candy any day.

• Lone Survivor- Mark Wahlberg

If you’re not in the mood for any movie involving relationships, go out and see “Lone Survivor”. This movie tells the story of four Navy SEALs on an ill-fated covert mission to neutralize a high-level Taliban operative who are ambushed by enemy forces in the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan. Sounds intense, but so far I have heard nothing negative about this film.

• Frozen- Kristen Bell, Jonathon Groff, Idina Menzel

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has been hearing about the “Frozen” obsession. It’s all anyone has been talking about for weeks now. In this animated movie, fearless Anna teams up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven in an epic journey. Throughout the journey, they encounter harsh weather conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf in a race to find Anna’s sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. SPOILER ALERT: There’s a Sing-along!

Most single students are seeing a movie on Valentine’s Day. Junior Jess Schild is “going to a movie with my friends, then enjoying a candlelight ice cream dinner.” Sophomore Megan Ofner says she is “playing a hockey game then heading to the movies with my friends.” Sophomore Theresa Bertolino is actually seeing a play called “Airplanes” at Theatre-Fest at 8pm.

1. Have an Anti-Valentine’s Day party

If you’re feeling really ambitious, throw a huge bash for you and all of your closest friends who can’t stand all the happy couples on Valentine’s Day. Sit around and tell some relationship horror stories and have some laughs over drinks and all the junk food in the world. Let’s face it, you don’t have anyone to impress. If you really want, you can all chip in for the heart-shaped piñata.

1. Retail Therapy

Now this one might get expensive, but trust me, you’ll feel better after the fact. Nothing fixes the Valentine’s Day blues like a new pair of heels or some cute outfits. Who knows, that cute outfit could be the one to impress a special someone later. ;)

If you still want some comfort at the end of the day for what this holiday has put you through, here is a pinterest board with lots of delicious dessert recipes. http://www.pinterest.com/awicefire12/sweet-comfort/ And there’s always a single lady’s best friends, Ben & Jerry.

Courtney is a sophomore at Sacred Heart University, from Williamstown, Pennsylvania. She is an Exercise Science major who plans to become a physical therapist. She is also a member of the Sacred Heart softball team.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.