Single and Celebrating Valentine’s Day Anyway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.
Love is defined as the “unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another” or “a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties.”
As February is underway and Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching the word love is being thrown around a lot! The word love especially on Valentine’s Day is always associated with love between two people who are in a relationship. If you are single this Valentine’s Day don’t let that get you down or give you a reason to not enjoy this Valentine’s Day! There is more love than just between two people in a relationship. Take time this Valentine’s Day to love up your friends, family and don’t forget to love up yourself!!
Those who may be single hate Valentine’s Day because they feel it is a whole day that is a reminder that they do not have a significant other to share it with. Becoming recently single I too have not been looking forward to Valentine’s Day but I realized there is so much more to Valentine’s Day and so much more love in my life to be thankful for and so do you!
First off, the most important person to love is yourself! Always remember how beautiful, awesome, and perfect you are just the way you are now!!! One of my favorite quotes is “If you aren’t happy single, then you won’t be happy taken because true happiness comes from within and not from anyone else.” Be happy and you will enjoy this Valentine’s Day!! Treat yourself to something special this Valentine’s Day. Go indulge yourself in the huge variety of candies available at a store near you. It may be chocolate, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, the conversation hearts, or anything else your heart may desire.  Go buy it and enjoy every single last piece of it!!! We all know the magical power chocolate can have on us and how just one piece can turn your day around.  
Remember all your best friends on Valentine’s Day. This is a great day to remind them how much you love them and value their support and friendship. Plan a night out together. Go to dinner and pay for each other. Buy them cards and chocolates. Stay in, order Chinese food or a pizza pie and watch your favorite movies! Your friends have been there for you through your highs and your lows and spending Valentine’s Day with them will surely put you in a happy mood and feel loved! In the end, our friends are really our soul mates aren’t they?! Me and my best friend planned a date night for ourselves where we are going to get dressed up and go out to a fancy dinner and I have never been more excited for a Valentine’s Day. And don’t forget about your family! Your parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins all have love for you. Give them a call or send a card or even a little present if you can. They will always be there for you when you and have loved you since the day you were born!! Plus, the only man you ever need in your life is your dad and he will forever be your valentine!
There is more love to share on Valentine ’s Day then just between you and a significant other. So if the thought of Valentine’s Day is bringing you down, just remember all the other love you have! Turn that frown upside and make it a special Valentine’s Day for you, and for your friends and family.
Jamie O'Donoghue is a Sophmore, majoring in Exercise Science. She is looking to attend Physical Therapy School as a graduate student. She looks forward to becoming a pediatric Physical Therapist. She enjoys volunteering and working with Habitat for Humanity.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.