SHU Theatre Arts: ‘The Comedy of Errors’ Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Sacred Heart has an amazing Theater Arts Program and they put on great plays– and their newest show The Comedy of Errors is no exception. Here’s a break down of the play.

The Comedy of Errors is one of William Shakespeare’s funniest, and yet, lesser known plays. The production stars fifteen actors, some of whom are cast in multiple roles; and is the largest number of actors the Little Theatre has ever seen. The production is set in the 60’s, 1968 to be more exact, and is meant to resemble the set of “Laugh-In”, a popular sketch comedy television show at the time. Everything from when and where the scenes take place is chosen specifically in order to reflect the madcap comedy you’re about to see. 

The plot follows two sets of identical twins that were separated at a young age, but who find themselves years later in the same town at the same time. As a result, most of the comedy in the show comes from mistaken identity between both sets of brothers. There is also a lot of puns and clever word play that is a huge part of the wit of the show. If you’re nervous about understanding the show due to Shakespeare’s dense language, seeing it preformed in an era closer to our own definitely makes it easier to understand. The show runs for approximately an hour and a half without an intermission. 

This show is one of the funniest things I have ever seen, and a big reason for that is the top-notch actors chosen. Each of the actors is perfect for his or her respective part. One of the funniest parts is the physical comedy. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it’s always extremely well timed. Another really funny element of the show is the character reactions to the craziness going on around them. 

John Flaherty directs The Comedy of Errors. It is produced by senior Ruthie Phillips, assistant produced by junior Kevin Carlson (whom is also an actor in the show), stage-managed by junior Julie Palumberi, and assistant directed by both junior Matt Henshaw and sophomore Justin Weigel. It also features sound and projection designs by sophomore Matt Kericke. The Comedy of Errors runs October 12th -15th. The shows Thursday through Saturday begin at 8pm and the show on Sunday begins at 3pm.

For more information on tickets and up coming shows, contact the box office at the edgertoncenter.org

Genny Baratta

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.