Sacred Heart’s Campus Correspondent: Colleen O’Melia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Colleen O’Melia

SHU’s own Her Campus Correspondent!

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Hometown: Woburn, Massachusetts

Major: English with a concentration in writing, Five Year Education Program

Colleen and Katie Gennusa representing Her Campus at Sacred Heart’s Connection Carnival a few weeks ago.

When did you get involved with Her Campus?

I became involved with Her Campus my freshman year. Scrolling through the million Sacred Heart emails I receive daily, I came across one email about Her Campus. I immediately wanted to learn more about the organization, so I went to the first meeting. The rest is history!

Why did you want to become involved?

Two reasons: I love to write and I wanted to be involved on campus. Originally, I was thinking strictly in terms of “resume builders.” I had just recently switched from a Psychology major to an English major and Her Campus, an online magazine, seemed like the perfect fit. Soon enough, Her Campus became more than a resume builder. It became something I was truly passionate about.

What do you want to accomplish with SHU’s Her Campus?

Mainly, I want to bring the Sacred Heart University community together. Sacred Heart is home to over 50 student-run clubs and organizations. If we can all support each other in one way or another, our organizations will flourish! When writing articles, we always aim to keep the student body interested and involved. “Campus Cutie” and “Campus Celebrity” are two article types that really bring SHU students together. These sections are accompanied by a lot of positive feedback from peers, which is amazing. Furthermore, we dedicated last week’s Feature article to a new sorority on campus. With spring recruitment quickly approaching, the sorority really wanted some publicity. So, we stepped in to help! This collaboration is something every university needs. As president of Her Campus Sacred Heart, I want supporting and collaborating with fellow students, clubs, and organizations to be our main goal.

What has been the most rewarding part of HC SHU?

The most rewarding part of being a part of Her Campus Sacred Heart has been watching us grow! When I first joined the organization, Sacred Heart’s Her Campus Chapter had just been born thanks to now graduate student, Taylor Lane. Without her, we wouldn’t be here! Last year, we worked really hard and were finally recognized as a bronze level chapter. This year, we not only leaped from a bronze level chapter to a GOLD level chapter, but we were also finally granted recognition as a registered club on campus. Needless to say, this year has been huge for us. I’m very proud of our team and I’m so excited to see what the next two years have in store for us!

How has Her Campus impacted your life?

Her Campus has taught me responsibility, commitment, and perseverance. Back in September, I had no idea what I was doing. I was beyond nervous because I had never been “in charge” before. I had about thirty heads staring at me as I stuttered through the first meeting. I didn’t believe I could handle the Campus Correspondent position. However, in time, I got the hang of things. I quickly learned how important frequent communication with your team is. The more you communicate, the more aware and proactive your team is– if they sense that you care, they will care. When I applied for us to become a club on campus, I sent follow-up email after follow-up email. I did not give up until we reached our goal of becoming a club. Eventually, I was successfully managing a team of over 50 girls on my own. Though overwhelming at times, Her Campus has taught me a lot about myself. It has shown me that I can be a leader.

With school, HC, and a social life, how do you manage your time?

Good question! To be honest, I’m not sure. I’m somewhat all over the place. I have a weird method of organization. I don’t keep a planner. However, I do occasionally schedule out my days or make “to-do” lists. My mom also got me hooked on sticky notes. For the most part, I just have an insane memory. When it comes to actually doing my homework, I’m a huge procrastinator. I may seem like I have it all together, but I’m 100% the girl that pulls an all-nighter the night before a huge assignment is due. I’ll worry about it for weeks but put it off until the last minute regardless. I have managed to make Dean’s List every semester though so apparently it’s working!

What do you do in your spare time and what other activities are you a part of?

In my spare time, I work out and spend time with friends and family. In addition to Her Campus, I am a Sunshine Kids mentor, a classroom aide at Discovery Magnet Elementary, and newly elected Co-president of the Education Club!

Where do you see yourself in five years?

In five years, I see myself with my own classroom in an elementary school near Boston. I also see myself doing some traveling. I am DYING to go to Europe!

What is one of your life goals?

I want to live a fulfilling, happy life. I want to see the world. I want to love going to work every day. I also want to have children of my own someday.

What has been one of your most memorable experiences at SHU so far?

I have met so many amazing people here. Together, we have made memories that will last us a lifetime. I don’t think I can pick just one. Sophomore year was by far my favorite year at Sacred Heart thus far. We lived in JHill surrounded by all of our friends. Also, though it wasn’t at the university, the spring break trips to Florida I took freshman and sophomore year with the friends I made at SHU were two awesome experiences. I will be reminiscing back to these days for years after graduation. I am so lucky!

What is one piece of advice you would give to college girls?

Don’t be afraid to get involved! Try new things. The more you are willing to put yourself out there, the more lifelong friendships you will make. I’m a Boston girl, but I now have friends from all over! After graduation, I will definitely be planning trips to visit the friends I’ve made here. You won’t meet people by sitting in your dorm room.

Colleen with members of the Her Campus Sacred Heart team at our “Show Us Some Love” event.

Jamie O'Donoghue is a Sophmore, majoring in Exercise Science. She is looking to attend Physical Therapy School as a graduate student. She looks forward to becoming a pediatric Physical Therapist. She enjoys volunteering and working with Habitat for Humanity.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.