Wellness

Reasons to Start a Bullet Journal in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

In January of 2019, I finally purchased a bullet journal after years of admiring them via my Pinterest addiction. A year later, I can say my bullet journal is one of my favorite things I own. It’s never too late to start a New Year’s Resolution, and a bullet journal can lead to knocking out a handful of resolutions in one little book. If you’ve ever considered getting one, here’s some reasons to take the dive!

1.    You don’t have to be a professional!

The beautiful calligraphy and seemingly effortless dainty doodles may seem intimidating if you don’t consider yourself “artsy.” But if fancy just isn’t your style, don’t sweat it – your bullet journal is whatever you want it to be! Even for those of us who are not gifted artists, a bullet journal is a great opportunity to get creative. There are plenty of tutorials online for lettering, and more advanced artistic additions to your journal as you gain confidence.

I recommend investing in a good set of pens, like these from Amazon:

2.    A Bullet Journal Can Help You Stay Mindful

If your goal is to get in touch with your zen side in 2020, a bullet journal is a step in the right direction. Pinterest is a great resource for examples of different self-care pages, gratitude logs, goal setting, reflections, and so on. My favorite page that I kept up with without fail last year was a daily mood log for 2019!

3.    It’s a Great Way to Stay Organized

The dots of a bullet journal make it easy to create your own one-of-a-kind planner, often at a better price than that one at the store that actually has everything you want in it. Use your bullet journal to create a yearly, monthly, or weekly calendar, a spending chart, plan meals, track workouts, or whatever you feel you personally need. 

4.    Journaling is Therapeutic

Use your journal to jot down a rant or a wild dream or a crazy 3 am idea you want to work through later, whatever you write will end up being uniquely therapeutic. Your journal is a space to get thoughts out of your head wheneveryou want (like when you cant get to therapy or your mom is busy). Even if you don’t keep up with journaling every day or even every week, know that you can always go back to it when you feel overwhelmed or have the time.

5.    You can Reflect on it forever

Whether you use your bullet journal just to stay organized or write pages upon pages weekly, once its filled you will have something you can look back on for the rest of your life. When I started my bullet journal, I was abroad for a semester, so I used it to chronicle my adventures and even just a year later I look back on it and realize how special it is to relive how I was feeling in those moments.

Julia Pizzuto

Sacred Heart '21

I am a senior Communication Studies major at Sacred Heart University, with minors in business and journalism. At my university in addition to writing for Her Campus, I am an RSA, member of the club volleyball team and global ambassador for the study abroad office. I am from Riverhead, New York and in my free time, I like to go to the beach, travel, and listen to music from 10 years ago.
Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!