Quirky Comedy Movie Recommendations: The Quarantine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

*Warning* These are movies you definitely watched growing up if your family had a specifically weird sense of humor!

If you’re looking for a good laugh during quarantine, I recommend these quirky comedy movies. They were staples in my house, which might sound a bit strange, but the funniest people I know say they the same thing!

kimmy schmit tv gif
Netflix / Giphy

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

If you haven’t seen this movie, WATCH IT! It might not be for everyone, but if you’re up for it, drop all your expectations and buckle up for a wild ride of British slapstick comedy! If it leaves you craving more, check out the rest of the other several Monty Python films! This movie can be streamed on Netflix and is available for purchase on iTunes or Amazon Prime.

Meryl Streep Yes Gif
Giphy

2. Space Balls

I actually saw this Star Wars parody before I saw any of the original Star Wars films, and it is funny no matter what! It’s packed full of one-liners that you can count on becoming regular phrases– which you know already if you grew up slinging them around the dinner table! It took until my third year of college to see the real Star Wars, and I absolutely recommend that as a quarantine activity too! (I may or may not have binged them all in a week!) You can stream Space Balls on Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, or iTunes.

Friends Excited
Giphy

3. The Pink Panther

The ridiculous scenes and bad French accents are sure to stick with you long after you’ve seen this film. If you like Steve Martin and have never seen this, you’re missing out. This film can be streamed on several platforms, including Amazon Prime Video and Google Play.

Bridesmaids gif
Giphy

4. Young Frankenstein

This is a comedic spin on the classic Frankenstein story, and it’s good for a chuckle any time of year – not just Halloween. Young Frankenstein can be streamed on Hulu or Amazon Prime Video.

Notting Hill gif
Giphy

My list could go on, but these are my top four. Now that self-isolation has now been extended in many places throughout the United States, it’s the perfect time to grab some popcorn and give these a try for family movie night!

Beyonce  Clapping
Giphy

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.