Life > Experiences

Perspective on the Abrupt End to the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

“Beginnings are usually scary, endings are usually sad, but it’s what’s in the middle that counts. So, when you find yourself at the beginning, just give hope a chance to float up. And it will.” -Steven Rogers

Adult Back View Backpack Beautiful
Tim Gouw / Pexels

As the 2019-2020 school year unexpectedly comes to an end, students naturally have a lot to be sad about. Cancellation of games, scrimmages, formals, shows, club meetings, and interactions with friendly faces around campus. We suddenly become reminded of how precious these four years of college are, and how quickly they are going by. We become overwhelmed with mixed emotions, bitter sweetness, as we say goodbyes to our friends, pack our belongings and prepare for whatever is next…

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors; your four years aren’t over yet. Reminisce on the past year(s), the good & the bad, and look forward to the next year(s). There is so much left in store of your college experience, and even more to be grateful for. 

Alcohol Drinking Hands Party
Alex Frank / Spoon

Seniors, I can only imagine the endless emotions this brings upon you all. An abrupt end to everything you’ve known or looked forward to. There is no fairness in any of it but find comfort in the memories you have to look back on. Such as- games, scrimmages, formals, date nights, shows, and club meetings; the list of opportunities is endless. Look back on nights out with your best friends, hysterical Uber rides, and midnight McDonald’s runs; look back on all of these moments, big or small, good or bad, and find comfort in its entirety. Because what’s in the middle is what matters the most. You will carry these memories with you for the rest of your life, along with the friendships they built. As you begin to prepare for the next chapter of your lives, remember; “when you find yourself at the beginning, just give hope a chance to float up”. 

The next chapter, whatever it may be, is a fresh start. So make all the memories you can, say “yes” to everything, and live in the moment of it all. Despite the hesitations of beginnings and the sadness of endings, always remember that the middle is what counts. 

Best of luck to you all!

Woman In Black Long Sleeve Dress Standing On Brown Concrete
Stanley Morales / Pexels

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.