Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

Not Your Stereotypical Sorority Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

If someone told me in high school that I would be in a sorority, or be involved with recruitment/ chair of that sorority in college, I would never believe them. Being in a sorority has completely changed my college experience in a positive manner. Before college, I was unsure whether I would want to be in a sorority because I did not see myself as the typical sorority girl. I eventually understood that the sororities you see in the movies are not representative of real life or realistic sororities. A variety of people join sororities: all different races, ages, sizes, etc. 

Theta Phi reminded me of what it feels like to be unconditionally supported & loved.

Holding a position in a sorority is a whole new ball game; in which you get to see the reality of how the sorority runs and it quickly becomes your responsibility to keep it successfully running. I went into rush weekend freshman year unsure about how it would turn out for me. I lingered within my sorority, not doing much, only focusing on the negative energy from the not so nice friends I found freshman year. Once those friends and their toxicity were removed from my life, I started thinking, why am I paying dues to something I am barely apart of. Looking back at it, I am gaining experience being apart of a sorority. I have become more aware of my priorities in college after taking a position.

My recommendation is to not immediately jump to the conclusion of “it’s not for me” or “i’m not a sorority girl” when thinking about joining one in college. I wasn’t either, but here I am. Many of my sisters didn’t see themselves in a sorority either. So maybe try it out. You really could find your people like I have and it could be an unforgettable experience. 

Lindsey Rosania

Sacred Heart '22

Hey guys! My name is Lindsey and I am currently a sophomore at SHU. I love to write creatively and appreciate Her Campus for giving me and other girls the opportunity to do so!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.