My Top Ten Places for Off-Campus Eats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Even though SHU has a lot of great dining options, including a literal diner on campus, it is always nice to get a breath of fresh air and try something new. Here’s a list of my favorite places when I like to treat myself to an off campus meal!

To Go Out to Breakfast… Chip’s Family Restaurant

Located at 25 Tunxis Hill Cut Off, Fairfield, CT 06825 (also has a location in Trumbull but I’ve only been to the Fairfield one)

Chip’s is such a great place to go for pancakes, egg benedicts, and anything in between. The service is also super fast, they turn tables like it’s nothing so the wait is never long! The servers are always really nice and helpful. If you ever go out one night and wake up feeling gross, definitely go to Chip’s. The Amazing Food and Great Service will turn your whole day around!

To Grab Lunch…. Crowne Cafe

Located at 2200 Madison Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06606

Crowne Cafe is an absolute hidden gem! It is a very cute family owned business with playing cards at every table. They have a fully equipped Boar’s Head deli and the sandwiches are so good they speak for themselves. The wraps and sandwiches are amazing. I’ve had the turkey wrap and the bacon egg and cheese and they were two of the best of those I’ve ever had. The taste had my mouth watering for the rest of the day!

To get coffee… THE Dunkin’

Located at 200 Tunxis Hill Rd, Fairfield, CT 06825

Okay, okay, I know iced coffee is not an food you can eat but I HAD TO shout out this specific Dunkin’ on my list of vendors in the SHU area. Even though there are other Dunkin’ locations closer to campus, this one is so worth the extra five minutes to get to. The workers are all so friendly and their coffees ALWAYS SLAP and are so well made! In my opinion, as a huge iced coffee gal, how your coffee is made can have a huge impact on your day. Here, my day has been made by an amazing coffee on multiple occasions. This Dunkin’ rarely disappoints and I would even be so bold to say it’s the best Dunkin’ I’ve ever been to (and I’m from Quincy, MA where the original location is). 

**Also, if you’re looking to kill two birds with one stone, Chip’s is less than two minutes away from here. 

For Good Italian Food… Romanacci

​Located at 4244 Madison Ave #1, Trumbull, CT 06611

So, I actually had never been here until I went for my birthday a few days ago but I already can’t wait to go back. Italian is my favorite type of food and Chicken Parm is my favorite meal on earth. So, naturally, that is what I ordered. It was sooo good. I’d rank it in the top 5 chicken parms I’ve had in my life. Also, the portion was HUGE I got to have the leftovers like two more times after the initial meal. So, it was basically a 3 for one. It was so good, I was dreaming about it that night. Also, My boyfriend got a buffalo chicken pizza which I tried a bite of and that was really good too. So no matter what you order, I guarantee you’ll leave already wanting to go back like I did. 

For Good Mexican Food… Moe’s Southwest Grill

Located at 2267 Black Rock Turnpike, Fairfield, CT 06825

I know what you’re thinking, she’s putting a chain on this list? In my defense, there are no Moe’s close to me at home and I had actually never heard of it until I came to SHU. Now, it’s one of my favorite places EVER! The stack hits different. It’s hard to describe. It’s basically everything you love about Mexican food in one beautiful structure. Again, I always have leftovers from Moe’s to enjoy days following because I can never eat the whole thing. Whenever I’m at school and I want to treat myself to a good cheat day and just stuff my face, Moe’s is a must. I leave stuffed and satisfied every time. 

For Fried Food… Merritt Canteen

Located at 4355 Main St, Bridgeport, CT 06606

Merritt Canteen is another essential for a good cheat day.  (they are also open til 4am on Friday and Saturday nights, it’s also essential after a night out). From deep fried oreos to curly fries, they have everything your fried fast food heart could want. Merritt’s food always tastes amazing and it is relatively inexpensive as well. Fun Fact: it was once featured on Food Network’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives!

For Good Nugs… Garden Catering

Located at 2074 Black Rock Turnpike, Fairfield, CT 06825

If you’re a “Nugs 4 Lyfe” type of person, this is the place for you! On the homepage of their website it literally says, “NOBODY BEATS OUR NUGGETS!” and I would have to agree. Garden Catering also offers so many different varieties with sauces and options.  There is something for every chicken lover here.   

For Healthy Eats…Playa Bowls

Located at 57 Unquowa Rd, Fairfield, CT 06824

So far, this list has proved that I may not be the cleanest or healthiest eater when I eat out. However, that is something I still find important and strive for. One place I love to do that near school is Playa Bowls. They have so many fruity and delicious options. I also love how you can combine the bases of your bowls and do half and half, so it’s like a two in one! Playa Bowls are definitely nice to have after a good workout or when you want to treat yourself and your body. Also, they fill you up too, you won’t be hungry for unhealthy snacks after. It’s a win win!

To Order on UberEats… Crossroads Pizza

Located at 3765 Main St, Bridgeport, CT 06606 (*Disclaimer: I’ve only ever gotten it delivered*)

I randomly stumbled upon this on Uber Eats one late weekday night when I was too caught up with work and stuff. I am so glad I did. First of all, it was one of the fastest deliveries I have ever gotten in my life. I couldn’t believe how fast it came. It was a great pizza too! I was pleasantly surprised by it. I got the small meatball and half of it hit the spot. So, I saved the leftovers the next day and they were just as good! I’ve ordered again since and their sandwiches are very good too. I would definitely recommend ordering here next time you’re too cozy or caught up to leave your room. 

To Go Out To Dinner/Casual Dining… Little Pub

Located at 2133 Black Rock Turnpike, Fairfield, CT 06825

I had to save Little Pub for last! I love the atmosphere here. It is so cute and I always feel at home there. It reminds me so much of the restaurants in my hometown and that is so nice to have away at college. And an added bonus: the food is great too! I think of all the places I’ve listed, Little Pub might have the most extensive and biggest menu. There is something for everyone! From Sandwiches to Salads to Apps to Burgers, you can’t go wrong. Everything is delicious. This is the place to go if you’re look for good food in a cozy atmosphere with your friends after a long day of work or class. 

The SHU supporting area of Fairfield, Bridgeport, and Trumbull has so many great places to eat. I even have more favorites that didn’t make this list but are definitely honorable mentions. So, next time you’re looking to take a break from JP’s or Linda’s, definitely give one of these places a try! I guarantee it will be worth the harsh reality of spending real money. (Also, if anyone has any challenges or additions to this list, hit me up, I’d love to try it!) 

Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.