Style

My Personal Project: Embroidered Shirts at SHU!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Recently, I have been itching to get my hands on something creative here at school. Over this summer, I became obsessed with the trend of handmade embroidery appearing on denim and T-shirts — I loved how authentic it looked and how it added unique detailing to an outfit that no one else had. I’ve always loved the idea of making my own clothes, especially the idea of dressing differently from everyone else. I’ve thrifted a lot of my own clothes, so I decided to pick out some plain t-shirts over the summer and attempt to teach myself how to hand embroider on them.

It took a couple of tries but I finally got the hang of it and it soon became a project I was genuinely happy with. My first few creations were inspired by my favorite artist, Tyler the Creator. He is definitely the one who started it all for me — his vision for clothes and fashion has always been so inspiring. It started out just as a hobby, but I slowly started getting more and more comments about my work when I started rocking the shirts at home and around campus.

I have now made a lot of shirts for friends and family, each one crafted with its own personal meaning for the individual. I love the idea of bringing my friends’ own ideas and visions to life. 

I eventually began my own business, selling each t-shirt for around $20 and each long sleeve for $25, making slightly more than the cost of materials — each shirt takes a lot of time and patience, but so much love is put into every one. It is something I truly love doing now, especially at school as it makes me feel like I am creating something good. 

If you are interested in buying a shirt, message me on Instagram @fezzzzaaaa and say that Her Campus sent you! I will give every Her Campus reader a discount, and make your shirt with extra love ❤️

Gabby Fezza

Sacred Heart

Hi! I am a freshman transfer student at Sacred Heart University who adores writing, fashion, and filmmaking. I am a Digital Communications major and I love everything creative!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.